Options

installation of camper top on 270

randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just picked up my new rear camper top and frame and hardware, from TJ. The set of instructions as you will see are so wonderful,  when I text TJ and ask for a beter set of instructions and where to find them, he said he did not know of any. Looked on Ameritex site, no help. I think the hardware kit is for front bimini, not the back. that's ok I can buy more hardware. And do not have any idea what the short strings are for, so I can pitch them. 
So here is where I need your help. pictures of the rear attachment brackets, check measurements of brackets, picture of frame so I can tell which is front and which is back. The canvas part will be simple enough,  Thank you.
Boat Name : 

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strings are for keeping the aft curtain tight. I will try to get you some pics and measurements from @tniggel's 270 that has the extended top. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Yes strings keep back curtain tight but require the knobs on transom to attach to.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Thanks guys, you mean at the bottom of back curtain. I did not purchase the hole back canvas kit.  just camper top. As I do not use isinglass, I snap on mooring cover.
    Don't have knobs, snaps only. its an older boat. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Yes, looks like the kit for the front bimini.  Is the hardware used?  What is the discoloration on the screws.  

I think you only need 2 more of the surface mount hinges with pull pin and lanyard.

I have never done this before but after looking at it, I would likely do the following.  Before attaching the hinges to the boat I would zipper the rear bimini to the front bimini.  Attach the hinges to the stanchion ends.  Verify that the frame extends to the rear of the transom such the the hinges can be attached there.  Then attache the rear hinge pair centered on the boat.  With the rear stanchions attached, move the front stanchions to position the front hinge pair so the the bimini top is tight.  It should be pretty tight like the front bimini or else it may flap or vibrate in the wind while underway.  This looks like it would be much easier with a second set of hands.

You can see a number of these rear camper tops pretty well on Yachtworld.com

Good luck!
  • Options
    Here are some pics with measurements.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

Greg, that's an awesome response!  & so quickly!...oh, that water sure doesn't look too appealing to swim in.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    It's cleaner than it was when we got crushed by a stationary storm on Sunday afternoon. Provided it doesn't rain tonight, or rain too much, the water will be a lot better by the weekend. I am right below a dam, so the water does get some "foam" on it when the water drops 15 feet.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great shots Greg and a super fellow boater to help randy56 like that. BTW NICE top!
  • Options
    @Al I always needed a sipper extension, Ha hahaha had know idea what those strings were for. 
    Cable you da man,!  when't to local boat shop to buy 2 extra fasteners today, all they had was plastic, Grrrrr,  so I'll get it installed, Thanks 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    You have to live with whatever hinge you install because replacing with something different will require drilling new holes.  Don't forget to chamfer (or countersink) the gelcoat to prevent spider cracks.  I have had really good results using a conical (or counter sink) shaped abrasive bit.  The kind that may be in a dremel kit for small holes.  I picked up a larger one from harbor freight for larger holes.  I use either bit in my drill.  If the screws extend through the plastic bilge vent cover then consider chamfering the gelcoat in the hole under the plastic piece.
  • Options
    Ah Ha !  moment  only took 45 minutes after knowing which way to go, ya I know boat is dirty. Now I have almost 11ft of shade! MD, I didn't forget, read it on a forum somewhere, bought today at Home Depot. Thanks ALL. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Glad I was able to help out. Even better that you got the top on. It looks great!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    To add to MDboaters wise comment about always countersinking holes in gel coat, we ran the countersink backwards for a couple of turns before starting them to bite in a clockwise direction, although that may not be necessary with some of the newer countersink bits. However, something that has not changed IMO do NOT use a power drill - of any kind - no matter how you set the speed or torque - use a hand screw driver and do not over tighten the fastener. Also I like to put some 3M4200 in the drilled hole.
  • Options
    Follow up,  Rear top update, just spent 3 days and nites on Rinker, Had mom out a couple days she is 79, The extra shade was wonderful, the wife was impressed also, They could move about and find shade. Thanks again !
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56....looks awesome! Great to have your mom out....she must be proud!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Follow up,  Rear top update, just spent 3 days and nites on Rinker, Had mom out a couple days she is 79, The extra shade was wonderful, the wife was impressed also, They could move about and find shade. Thanks again !
    that's the main reason I bought this boat! :) 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no question that the camper package is a game changer- like a 2nd story was dome Joe just added...we love ours, makes all the difference in the world, for less than 3 grand, well worth it. You will enjoy it! Congrats and looks great.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never use mine Ras
  • Options
    mrwizardmrwizard Member Posts: 3
    How can I contact TJ?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pm him. Boattech01
  • Options
    Never use mine.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @boattech01, @mrwizard is looking for you
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    boattech01boattech01 Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Never use mine.
    Haven't had to use mine yet this spring.. used it a lot in the fall.. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost an absolute must around here. Adds about a month or more to the boating season in early and late season. It's 37F and threatening rain here today, but with the camper top an an electric heater, I'll be tinkering on the boat today.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    agree if my weather stayed like that I'd sell my boat.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    So if you stay overnight, most of you would not use the enclosure? Mine comes down for daytime riding but at night it goes up! 
  • Options
    Went we overnite, never do we not put up camper top. Hard to see the stars, and moon. Too much trouble.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    So, you put it up or not, that was a confusing answer!
  • Options
    We the feelomg of another "room" up top!