Options

Clean And Shiny...almost

elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
Just spent two days on and off using Chemical Guys Marine Heavy Compound on my black hull followed by their Marine Polish and Sealer.  Turned out amazing and so much better than all previous products I've tried.  To close out a nice shiny job I added the first coat of their marine carnuba wax and it left the darn thing all streaky and cloudy.  It's almost like it won't all buff back off of it.  Don't get it but may have to re-polish to get the streaking off..

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, that's weird!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Did you apply in the sun? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Did you apply in the sun? 
    No...did the side opposite the sun. One side in the morning and the other in the evening.   
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's wax sluffing, you gotta slow down the buffer and not push, or apply less pressure if by hand.   Take off the burnished by applying more but removing it immediately with a terry towel, then buff off rest with right speed and pressure. 
  • Options
    Well not sure if it was the wax or my application of it for some reason but after trying three different detailing sprays, the third one took it off and it's looks fantastic again.

Eric

• Options
    All back to the way I had it!   Looks fantastic at least for awhile again.  Not bad for a 2007 that has always sat outside when not in use even thru Michigan winters. 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice!!!!

my man, it is exceedingly easy to burnish the wax while it's being either applied or buffed... a contaminated buffing pad or cloth can do it...  ain't nothing you likely did wrong, just not as good as you could have- even the pro's burn them from time to time. 
  • Options
    @elarson5757...yeah, I'd say that looked good...BETTER than off the factory floor! :-)  No way to cover it over the winter?
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @elarson5757...yeah, I'd say that looked good...BETTER than off the factory floor! :-)  No way to cover it over the winter?
    Well needing to sit outside for winter it gets PROPERLY shrink wrapped...I have a new guy doing it this fall who is going to try to get the shrink wrap down the sides past the black. 

I've also now ordered a full cover for when it's not in use during summer. 
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Why would you leave such a nice boat in Shrink Wrap.  Aka green house???   Store inside out of the weather.  

Storage is at a premium here where I'm at near the Saginaw Bay in Michigan. There just isn't enough of it in a three county area. I just got three quotes for big enough inside storage without heat/electricity. Best one was $278 a month from Nov 1 thru Mar 31...no thanks...

And I know how some people feel about shrink wrap but this boat and every other boat I've had has had shrink wrap all winter. Property done and properly vented it's a non-issue in my opinion. I'd put the condition of this boat after 7 winters outside wrapped up against almost any it's age kept indoors all the time. I'm picky as ****. 
  • Options
    @elarson5757...IMO....properly vented with damp rid in the cabin, cockpit and engine bay and with Arm&Hammer refrigerator baking soda "pucks" in the fridge and ice maker and you will be fine.
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @elarson5757...IMO....properly vented with damp rid in the cabin, cockpit and engine bay and with Arm&Hammer refrigerator baking soda "pucks" in the fridge and ice maker and you will be fine.
    It's a 246 cuddy so no appliances..   I use damp rid in the cabin every year and make sure the shrink wrap is properly vented and propped up off the top of the boat.  Never an issue...
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Alswagg said:
    We charge $20 per foot for the entire season plus we will store the trailer free in the summer.  24'= $480. Not many shrink wrap in our area.  We don't even have a heat gun anymore.  I think Thaddeus threw it away ?   Not sure have not seen it for several years.  
    Yea I wish we had that here...inside storage for me at the worst dirty place which was cheapest would have ran me $1390 for 11/1 thru 3/31 AND once they "sealed the building" 11/15 there was no access toyour boat..period.   Then in the spring they start pulling boats for pickup 3/31 for three weeks...your first in, your last out.  

Now it's much cheaper if your a summer dock person here on the bay but I'm not.  My boat goes with me up to my summer RV resort and never stays in the water.  
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Looks great.  Did you use a buffer to apply the wax?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Looks great.  Did you use a buffer to apply the wax?
    No I applied the wax and took it back off by hand.  Frankly I think it was the wax itself. It's was a new bottle of Chemical Guys marine wet wax. After I got the boat cleaned back up I tried a different wax I had on and, applied and removed the same way and had no issues. 
  • Options
    @elarson, I purchased an expensive bottle of carnuba wax once that left darker and blighter versions on the all black hull of a Rinker 2011 226XL. The owner of the chandlery that sold it to me came over to see my boat. he said that carnuba wax is awesome but if it sits on a shelf oils in it can separate out and leave areas that look 'wetter" than others. he replaced the bottle and I re-waxed the hull and it was fine.....heck of a lot of work though. 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @elarson, I purchased an expensive bottle of carnuba wax once that left darker and blighter versions on the all black hull of a Rinker 2011 226XL. The owner of the chandlery that sold it to me came over to see my boat. he said that carnuba wax is awesome but if it sits on a shelf oils in it can separate out and leave areas that look 'wetter" than others. he replaced the bottle and I re-waxed the hull and it was fine.....heck of a lot of work though. 
    @Michael T that is a perfect description of what I experienced so I would say that confirms it was the bottle of wax I got.  I'm going to send it back for a replacement bottle.