Options

Do bravo3 counter spin props need to be aligned......

SERENDIPITYSERENDIPITY Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
Ever since my mechanic greased the prop spines  i seem to have lost some   speed
I have twin 6.2 on my  Rinker 342. Do they have to be aligned . Seem to be reving fast but not moving fast as i used to  .Tks for your input..Rick.

Comments

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Yes they do.   And the nuts need to be properly torqued.  
    image.jpg 1006.2K
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    edited September 2016
    I've always wondered about this.  Somewhere in the rotation, there will always be a point where the props are "out of phase" as shown in the picture from @Trashman .  My question is:  On a low-speed cruiser, how much does it really matter whether that point occurs at top dead center as shown, rather than somewhere else?  

@Serenity is not a racer.  Would alignment make enough of a difference to notice it and post a message about it?  I can see where a random alignment might not be "optimal" in the engineering sense, but I'm not sure it would matter at 30 MPH. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When both props meet at the top it make a wash off cavilation plate.so I have read.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tech has always made a big deal of aligning my props...as Al said.
  • Options
    SERENDIPITYSERENDIPITY Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Tks Trasman  can you send me the link of the  picture of the aligned props  tks  again R
  • Options
    bazzabazza Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    I have a VP dsp duo prop on my 280 I have looked in my manual and found no mention on a particular re assembly prop spacing, can this only apply to the Bravo 3 ? I would be grateful for any instructions I may have missed. Thanks Bazza 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bazza, it only takes 10 minutes, to change the last prop, and 1 1/2 inch socket. Try it next time the boat is out of the water. Reminder: put some grease on splines before reinstall. 
    Prop alignment is critical for proper thrust wash. Volvo, Merc, or diesel. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    bazzabazza Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Thanks Randy 56 Boat out of water later this month, I have all the tools, I will do as you suggest, thanks again Bazza