Options

Television upgrade

I am having problems with our tv. Won't play dvd's or stay on. It's the model that came in my 2008 rinker 330. I would like to upgrade and was thinking about placing on the bulkhead above the aft cabin area. What type of tv do I need to buy, has anyone else completed this upgrade.

Comments

• Options
    SandkriceSandkrice Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    We replaced our original tv/ DVD with a 22" Dynex from Best Buy. I think it was less than $150 but it was the largest combo we could find. I also bought the extended warranty since it is in the boat... Good luck!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put in a 22" on a swing mount on my 342.  Opened up the huge TV cabinet for more storage.  Now you can watch TV from the vee berth or the dinette easily.  I did just the TV and have a cheap plug-in dvd player, less to go wrong.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I replaced our with a flat screen on a swing arm.  I also added a surround sound system with dvd player.  Now, the ipad or laptop with netflix, slingbox, or other videos can plug right into the dvd system with one hdmi cable, and the surround sound has one hdmi going to the tv.  The hardest part was running the speaker wires so they looked clean.  But, now I have a great sounding system down in the cabin for movies.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I installed two 24" flat screens in our 312. Both of the are on a articulating swing arm mount, one for the aft cabin, and the other on the bulkhead in the main cabin. I also have a ps3 on top of the old tv cabin with a hdmi splitter to display on both tvs at the same time, and RCA and cables that go to both tvs to inside the cabinet for other inputs.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Seeing our boats are identical in layout, I'll explain what I did. The OEM Pyle TV with DVD is 12v. Mine still works great although the screen is rather small. I moved it to the cockpit, mounted on the port arch access panel. I took the 12v from the blender and fed it up to the TV and mounted a quick connect along with cable connect on a plate on the panel. I took the cable from the port connection outlet beside the AC connectors and rewired the cable splitter behind the electrical panel accordingly. On the cupboard in the galley, I mounted a 24" with DVD (Toshiba). I added a 200 watt inverter inside the cabinet and used the same wiring from the original 12v TV. Now we have his n hers tv's both workable on the hook. I'd look at LED screens now for even lower power draw.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    elangoneelangone Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I have a 2004 342, looking to replace the std tv with a flat screen, but I really want to have a 12v tv. Any suggestions? If I have to go with an inverter, the only 12v wiring near there is for a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style) can I tap into that? Also, was thinking of mounting a swivel arm on the v berth side of the tv cabinet, but need to remove the sliding/roll up door assembly to get behind it. Anyone know how to do that?
    2004 Fiesta Vee 342 "It's All About Kelly"
  • Options
    edited April 2015

x

• Options
    edited April 2015

x

• Options
    elangone said:
    I have a 2004 342, looking to replace the std tv with a flat screen, but I really want to have a 12v tv. Any suggestions? If I have to go with an inverter, the only 12v wiring near there is for a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style) can I tap into that? Also, was thinking of mounting a swivel arm on the v berth side of the tv cabinet, but need to remove the sliding/roll up door assembly to get behind it. Anyone know how to do that?

I mounted mi e that way and did not need to remove the rolling door. The bolts go throughout the cabinet right past the door. I'll see if I can post a pic of how it looks.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Not the best picture, but you can see how I mounted it off the side of the cabinet. The space was a dead space and the 24" led tv fits prefect. I used a $20 articulating wall mount from Walmart online. Actually used the same mount for the aft cabin tv as well.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    edited April 2015

x

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 342 tv install. Mounted on the aft side of the tv cabinet. Swings to the vee berth.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013

Michael T said:

About a week ago, I was told today by a commercial satellite installer that marine reception can often be enhanced by using "terminators" on any unused ports on a splitter. Seeing the look on my face he said if there is no cable on a splitter coax terminal get a small screw-on cap that is transistorized. It stops parasitic leakage from unused ports or even ports that have a coax cable on them that is not connected to a receiver or t.v. My new Rinker has some extra ports on the splitter (thanks for that Rinker!). Until I wire them up with extra units I will cap them. I telephoned a Radio Shack and the guy had them and said many people swear by them. I'm an old dog but this is news to me. I just bought a couple of packages of them. The satellite installer also said that trying different levels of gain on a splitter that was scalable (adjustable) could yield better results and that a high setting was not necessarily better and could even degrade a picture.  

If you are on cable, I would almost agree with him. If you are receiving the signal off-air, then I wouldn't worry about it. I have been in the cable industry for 18 years and I have never seen an adjustable splitter. The best way to go about it is if you are only using two ports, use a 2-way splitter. Three ports, use a 3-way splitter. Every Rinker that I have done cable work on has a 4-way splitter. It is cheaper for them to just get the 4-ways than it is to have others on hand. They also use the cheapest splitters around. I would replace the 4-way with what ever size splitter you need. If you only need a 2-way, you don't need to terminate the unused ports, plus you get 3.5dB of gain, which will help out with your pictures. It also might help you gain a distant station that you hadn't received before. Make sure you get a high quality splitter, one that has at least 110dB of isolation. The other thing that Rinker uses is screw on 'F' connectors, and the center conductor is usually way too long. They shouldn't be any longer than a 1/4". I have seen them as long as 3/4". They also use copper shielded wire, which does not help. I have always changed the connectors to a good quality compression connectors, like ones from PPC or Snap and Seal.

Keep in mind that off-air digital has a very distinct cut off when it comes to reception. If you are in a rural area, you might get some channels while on the hook, but different ones at your marina.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    scotty3scotty3 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013

I installed  22” LED/DVD combo a on our 2002 342 that we got from Wal-Mart for less than $200. I installed it on the original pullout but at an angle so it would fit in the compartment. When you pull it out it will swivel so you can view from both forward and aft. No cable at the marina but we get about 20 digital channels.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

• Options
    Here are two better pics.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    edited April 2015

x

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Weber.... Is that your dinghy motor mounted to your dinette post?  Very creative!   what`s the admiral say about that?  Kinda like parking your car in the kitchen....   :-c
  • Options
    We store it in there when we are not sing the boat, it stays inside locked up. I can move to the dinette on the deck when we are at the boat or attach it to th dinghy. Works great, completely out of the way and secure.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    5OclockSomewhere5OclockSomewhere Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 342 and am inclined to follow scotty 3's path.  I don't understand how you get reception out on the lake.  Does the TV "disc" work that came with the boat?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    That "disc" is a marine VHF/UHF antenna. Since it picks up UHF, it will work. 90% of all off-air HD channels are broadcast in the UHF band. There should be no need to upgrade to a new antenna unless you want to. I am using the antenna that came with my 280 and I get close to 30 off air channels, depending on where I am at in and around the city.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I put a Jensen 24 inch 12 volt TV over the mid-berth.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/30264/#Comment_30264

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I get one channel and it's the HSN what the ....
  • Options
    LOL I had a similar problem until I put the pre-amp back in line.  

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JC, make sure your cable connectors are in good shape. Mine was in bad shape by the actually dish. I took the end off and re-fit the connector. Then make sure your amplifier is working. The Coax lines are really sensitive, and the signal can degrade really fast. I went from being able to see 1 channel horribly, to around 15 to 20 channels.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks mark sounds like that's on the list for Friday.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you based? I know some people in secluded areas don't get much signal.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    i'm in Monroe Michigan about half way between Detroit and Toledo Ohio. I wouldnt care if i got PBS but home shopping network is just too funny the Admiral and i just laugh, glad she doesn,t like shopping LOL. I'm going to go thru the connections and see, not real worried as a tv on the boat is not what I own a boat for. 
  • Options
    I get that one too JC.  31 is more useful.

BTW, they make different size marine TV antennas and they are rated for different distances.  The bigger the area the greater the distance.

On my 280 I didn't have an arch and made a "red neck" TV antenna with copper tubing and PVC.  I used flat (300 ohm) TV wire from it to a 300 to 75 converter.  It sat on the top of my VHF antenna like a hat (I put it up at anchor, not underway) and plugged into the cable TV inlet on the side of the boat.  It didn't have a pre-amp and still worked like a champ.  It was basically a loop with PVC for a frame.  The ends were crimped onto a piece of wood dowel so the ends were about 1/2 apart and the TV wire was soldered to each end. The loop was 5 feet of copper.

If you're my age or so, think of the loop antenna on the back of TV sets that were meant for UHF stations.  

• Options
    oh how i remember those and a little foil lol