Shelf under helm seat 280EC

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
I needed better spot to store my throwable device that kept it handy per USCG rules. I always kept it under the helm seat with some lines, but it would always fall out against my legs while underway. I measured and had a piece of starboard cut from boatoutfitters.com. I attached it with 3M Extreme fasteners (a heavy duty velcro, the same stuff that holds EZPass to windshields). I figured temporary for now to get me thru the rest of the season. The throwable device fits perfectly. Here are some pics...


This is a before pic...


This is the piece of starboard. I used 1/4 inch thick and had the edges rounded.


This is with the starboard installed and the throwable device.


2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes" (Sold)
2022 Cherokee 294GEBG Black Label land yacht. 
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg....smart and professional! Another cool mod from the creative Rinker guys!
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 8,075 mod
    That is a very smart mod!
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Great ide that's added to the list!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Just came across this great idea 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    Well done, that's a very useful shelf! I just had my first experience with Starboard and it's easy and fun to work with and it looks great.
    Andy
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has worked out well for me. My only regret is that I didn't go a little thicker on the starboard. If I had to do it all over again, I would get 3/8" thick instead of 1/4". The 1/4" bows a little bit with some weight on it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes" (Sold)
    2022 Cherokee 294GEBG Black Label land yacht. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I did that but instead of Starboard bought an Ikea cutting board - can't tell the difference (except there's still $40 in my wallet).

    :-D
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 959 ✭✭✭
    Dude, did you use a wooden Ikea cutting board?.  All the white plastic types seem very short.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    How long did it take to assemble the Ikea cutting board? :D
    Andy
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    We bought it mid-2000's  - it was almost a countertop in size originally. They were not popular and marked down to like $8 each, I picked up a dozen. Some have been milled into frame sliders for a motorcycle, some into doohickey prototypes, lost two in a failed attempt to make my own CNC Mill (had a z-axis related failure that ate them), and I sacrificed my final piece into the shelf. It's pouring today - I was supposed to clean up the boat and do some engine room work - but next time I'm out I'll snap a pic.
Sign In or Register to comment.