Engine Problems on a 340 Fiesta Vee

I have a 2001 Rinker Fiesta Vee 340.  I just replaced the port engine this summer with a remanufactured one.  I am having trouble getting the boat up on plane now.  I never had this problem before replacing the port engine.  In fact, when in gear the engines (both) are in sync (+/1 1000 rpm), but never get above 3400 rpm (either engine - together or independently).  When in neutral I can rev them as usual 4000+ rpm.  

My mechanic has been at it all summer.  Apparently the computer is fine, the engines are in sync and timed, the spark plugs are brand new (both engines), and the outdrive oil has been changed.  It doesn't plane when I mess with the trim tabs nor the pitch of the outdrives.

What should I be looking for next? Other than a new mechanic.... Can the outdrives be bad? Is it a computer problem that is not registering on their fancy machine? 

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were the drives touched? Could the props be out of synch? Were the trim tab shims moved for any reason changing the attitude of the Port drive when the engine was R&R'd

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom clean? Props clean?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I'm with Handy, is the bottom clean?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    This happened to a friend of mine, it turned out that while the outdrives were off while the boat was in the shop someone had mistakenly put the wrong props back on the outdrives.  The shop ended up buying him a brand new set because they couldn't find the old ones!!
  • davanzo82davanzo82 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tips. 

Bottom was was cleaned and painted when it was hauled out to have the engine replaced. Props cleaned and serviced at same time. 

I might have to investigate the props and outdrives. I wonder if a diver can check if the props have been messed with when they clean the bottom soon....
  • davanzo82davanzo82 Member Posts: 3
    Starboard motor blew when a manifold cracked flooding the engine.  The new starboard engine runs just a tick higher in rpm's than the port engine. Per the mechanic the engines are in tune with each other.  After many dissappointing trips out with the mechanic I honestly don't know which engine is holding the other back.