Options

Synthetic weave/Seagrass carpet?

Has anyone, made up their own carpets with this product? Got a quote from snap in carpets for 1320$......must be made of gold? I see lots of places selling it reasonable online, can't think it would be hard to duplicate what I have, and have an edge sewn on? Saw this stuff at the spring boat show and loved it.

https://www.sisalcarpet.com/viewcategory.php?tag=Boat

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Fabric, sewing, snaps, hours and hours of work...whew that would be an awesome diy but I'd prefer the cash drop and done. Lol. 
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Buy the material, cut the pattern yourself, find a local shop to have them sew the binding and put in your snaps. i saved over 300 doing my carpet that way
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our dock mates are starting to get that woven vinyl stuff made by infinity. We have newer standard carpet but the woven vinyl is really awesome, what the new sea rays and I think Rinkers have in the cockpit. They are paying $1500+ to have it done. I have access to an industrial sewing machine and can sew so I hope to diy this winter. You can get sunbrella binding, woven carpet and snaps from sailrite.com. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to use UVA/B stabilized thread. I know lots of guys who have bought specialty carpet and taken it to a shop to have edge binding put on. If you tell them it is for marine they will use the UVA/B stabilized thread. If you don't use it - it rots FAST!
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Has anyone, made up their own carpets with this product? Got a quote from snap in carpets for 1320$......must be made of gold? I see lots of places selling it reasonable online, can't think it would be hard to duplicate what I have, and have an edge sewn on? Saw this stuff at the spring boat show and loved it.

What price per yard have your found?   I have seen $100-150 per yard.  Will they sell any width or are you committed to standard widths?  This would give you an idea of how much loss there would be.  For example, if you need 7 ft wide an the they sell from a 10 foot wide roll then you would loose 30% of the material.
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    We had our floors done by snap in carpets with the synthetic weave.  I love it, $1600 not so much unless 5 yrs from now it still looks brand new.  We are finishing our 1st season with it, cleans really easy and looks great. 
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    The UV thread is called Tenara made by 'gore"

• Options
    earl1z19 said:
    The UV thread is called Tenara made by 'gore"

Tenara is a great product (possibly the best for this type of application) made from PTFE and very expensive.   There are many polyester threads that offer great UV performance at a fraction of the price. 
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Fabric, sewing, snaps, hours and hours of work...whew that would be an awesome diy but I'd prefer the cash drop and done. Lol. 
    I'm usually pretty loose with a dollar but that's probably ly 2k canadian ......that's crazy
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    MDboater said:

What price per yard have your found?   I have seen $100-150 per yard.  Will they sell any width or are you committed to standard widths?  This would give you an idea of how much loss there would be.  For example, if you need 7 ft wide an the they sell from a 10 foot wide roll then you would loose 30% of the material.
    I haven't got too far into looking yet was just blown away by the price so thought I'd ask here......I'm gonna try this myself for sure.....love the look and feel of it ,but not paying that much. It's only a 270 so don't need a huge width . I have a friend that has an auto upholstery shop so will see if he will sew it if I get what I need
  • Options
    MDboater said:

I haven't got too far into looking yet was just blown away by the price so thought I'd ask here......I'm gonna try this myself for sure.....love the look and feel of it ,but not paying that much. It's only a 270 so don't need a huge width . I have a friend that has an auto upholstery shop so will see if he will sew it if I get what I need
    The point I was trying to make is that you may not be able to buy the exact width needed for the 270.  Put another way, you may end up with a lot of waste after cutting the irregular shapes needed for the 270.  You are paying for that waste.

You may need to buy the standard width which I think is 10ft.  The same issue applies when carpeting a room in your home.  If the room is 9ft x 9ft then you only need 9 square yards of carpet to cover the floor.  However carpet is made in a 12 ft standard width.  So in this example you would need to buy a 9 ft x 12 ft piece of carpet which equals 12 square yards. You are paying the per yard price for 3 yards of carpet that you don't need.  

What I think you need to understand is the dimensions of the pieces needed to cover the floor and the minimun size piece that you can buy to enable you to cut those pieces.  

Another point to consider is that most, if not all, of the synthetic weave is directional.  That is, you may not be able to rotate pieces 90 degrees to make more efficient use of the bulk piece.  Nor may you be able to rotate the 10 foot width to run bow to stern without it looking odd.

I'm guessing the continuous cockpit floor length from helm to transom is about 11 feet in the 270.  So a 10ft x 11ft piece would be a little over 12 square yards.  At $100 per yard you would bee looking at $1200 in material for the carpet alone.  

I hope that I am wrong because I like DIY projects and would like to know of a low cost solution for synthetic weave carpet.  However, without a way to procure the synthetic weave carpet for well under $100 per yard or in smaller widths, I think the $1320 price is pretty reasonable.  I assume that you would need to put the snaps in yourself even at that price.  Please keep me posted on what you learn.
  • Options
    MDboater said:
    MDboater said:

The point I was trying to make is that you may not be able to buy the exact width needed for the 270.  Put another way, you may end up with a lot of waste after cutting the irregular shapes needed for the 270.  You are paying for that waste.

You may need to buy the standard width which I think is 10ft.  The same issue applies when carpeting a room in your home.  If the room is 9ft x 9ft then you only need 9 square yards of carpet to cover the floor.  However carpet is made in a 12 ft standard width.  So in this example you would need to buy a 9 ft x 12 ft piece of carpet which equals 12 square yards. You are paying the per yard price for 3 yards of carpet that you don't need.  

What I think you need to understand is the dimensions of the pieces needed to cover the floor and the minimun size piece that you can buy to enable you to cut those pieces.  

Another point to consider is that most, if not all, of the synthetic weave is directional.  That is, you may not be able to rotate pieces 90 degrees to make more efficient use of the bulk piece.  Nor may you be able to rotate the 10 foot width to run bow to stern without it looking odd.

I'm guessing the continuous cockpit floor length from helm to transom is about 11 feet in the 270.  So a 10ft x 11ft piece would be a little over 12 square yards.  At $100 per yard you would bee looking at $1200 in material for the carpet alone.  

I hope that I am wrong because I like DIY projects and would like to know of a low cost solution for synthetic weave carpet.  However, without a way to procure the synthetic weave carpet for well under $100 per yard or in smaller widths, I think the $1320 price is pretty reasonable.  I assume that you would need to put the snaps in yourself even at that price.  Please keep me posted on what you learn.
    Ahhhhh ok I see where your going now....I'll definitely have to do some measuring first before I jump on it......hope it's doesn't turn out to be that much , hard  to justify for carpet
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    MDboater said:
    MDboater said:

Ahhhhh ok I see where your going now....I'll definitely have to do some measuring first before I jump on it......hope it's doesn't turn out to be that much , hard  to justify for carpet
    I think you'll find exactly what he described and that is the same issue with the SeaDek I did for $1500 bucks.  With the sheet size SeaDek comes in and the pieces I needed there was 30%+ waste.  I know that because when you buy SeaDek they quote you based on how many sheets are needed so when I paid I literally asked for the bigger pieces of waste and they sent me the drawing showing the sheets and the cutouts and what was left.  

Its just my gut but at $100-125 bucks a square yard, accounting for waste, snaps, sewing, etc, I'm betting it's not much less if it's less at all. 

The other reason I went SeaDek is the cushion and the fact there isn't snaps, nothing gets under it, I don't have to take it out to clean and put it back, etc. 

Again I think doing it yourself is cool if you have the time and the capability. Honestly my issue was primarily one of time. With a business and three kids 13 and under I struggle to get time in the boat let alone time to diy. 
  • Options
    You guys are ruining my Friday night just so you know....lol