Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8.1 L Heat Exchanger

minnesotaminnesota Barrie, OntarioPosts: 62Member ✭✭
So my 496 coolant overflow tank is full of lake water. My mech said the heat exchanger is fried,  he thinks there is a blown line in the core.  It will cost 1800 Canadian bananas to fix.  Heat exchanger cost this much?  
2008 280 EC

Comments

• NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Pensacola, FLPosts: 303Member ✭✭✭
    you can probably shop around and find them cheaper, about $700 (US) would be a good deal.
  • raybo3raybo3 Revere MAPosts: 3,950Moderator mod
    Why not just remove it and reroute the hoses and make it a raw water cooled engine. Your on a lake and its fresh water anyway.... Just say'n....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org
  • minnesotaminnesota Barrie, OntarioPosts: 62Member ✭✭
    Very good point Raybo3

2008 280 EC
  • Michael TMichael T Posts: 6,547Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed that is a good idea on boats up to a certain year. However once you get into the new Mercruisers that are highly electronically governed with eco settings and linked guardian systems to Vessel View you can not disconnect the heat exchanger or your systems will not work properly. @Minnesota should be okay. @bry1429 with his 2014 502 Mags would not.
  • AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 2,354Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merc never offered a fresh water 496.  Fix it correctly    I bet it froze in the past.  
  • minnesotaminnesota Barrie, OntarioPosts: 62Member ✭✭
    The mechanic said it wasn't winterized properly one year or leaves or debris must have blocked one of the tubes. 
    2008 280 EC
  • AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 2,354Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.  These can be fixed at a radiator shop.  Nothing really special. 
  • srlamansrlaman Posts: 15Member ✭✭
    I just had mine repaired at a radiator shop for $140