Options

outdrives

I have a 2003 34 ft Vista cruiser. My outdrives do not move. The oil reservoirs are full and you hear the pump running when you hit the switch on the controls but nothing moves. Unfortunately the out drives are not even and I cannot go above 10 miles an hour. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    33543354 Member Posts: 23
    Are the pumps attached to the oil reservoirs? Are their 2 pumps I for each drive?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a pump for each drive with a stainless steel hose going to each trim cylinder (4 of them....2 per drive). You have controls for the drive attitude on your throttles. There is a breaker and a solenoid. There are trim indicator sensors on each drive to show its trim position. Each trin cylinder has shims at the aft end to set the amount of -ve trim.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    If Mercs then it's a three piece unit. Tank,pump and then motor that drives the pump.
    check with a test light that you are getting power to up and down pos from the switches.
    there is a small drive key that fits into the motor and pump but from the sounds of it you have two trim pumps that are bad?
    its real easy to trouble shoot. Start with wires to check for power.
    remove motors to make sure the indeed rotate.
    then onto the pump and make sure there is oil lol
    now there might also be an issue with your limit switches but again two drives at the same time? 

• Options
    I agree seems strange that both pumps would go at the same time. But you hear the pumps working but drives don't move. Both reservoirs are full. One trim indicator moves but not the out drive.
  • Options
    Was any maintenance performed on these drives before this happened? Were they working fine one day and the next day they behaved like this or was there a gradual decline - if so, how did the problem present itself?  We need more data to help you.
  • Options
    So one indicators shows movement but drive is stuck in same pos 
    can you hit the trailer button?
  • Options
    I hit the trailer button again you hear the pumps but no movement on the out drives. I believe there was a gradual decline, but now nothing.
  • Options
    Question
    are batteries in good standing and what is the voltage running to each motor
  • Options
    Most of the time when pump motors go bad they just click and then work or just die
    this is power related or somehow two pumps went. I did see a pump key break one time. So motor spins but not the pump
  • Options
    They are wired individually and if you can test Voltage on the one easiest to get to.
    remove 4 screws and motor and then engage it to see if it spins. 
    Ps bad connection at battery or battery switch can lead to that also. Weak batteries and bad ground 
  • Options
    I know that I have one battery that is weak. Thank you> I will start with the battery and go from there.
  • Options
    My boat had crap battery when I got it and it wouldn't raise drives or tabs
    other one was good and lifted like a champ 
  • Options
    So you have two good batteries now? Like two series 31 deep flooded or AGMs? -or - One bad and one good? that would equal two bad.