Options

Kohler 5e Not Pumping Water - Not Impeller/Coupler

aves137aves137 Member Posts: 26
edited September 2016 in Generator Discussions
I have been working on my parents 342 for them to repair some issues before they sell the boat. The gen set has around 50 hours on it (2003 model year boat). When we run the gen set though, water is only sporadically spitting out of the exhaust port on the side of the boat. This is a salt water boat if that matters. My understanding is it should be flowing freely from that port if everything is running properly. I have read everything I can find online about these gen sets, but have yet to find any information on what to check for next. Here is what I have done so far to diagnose this issue:

1. Replaced the impeller and the coupler on the water pump.
2. Replaced the anode and checked the passage for any remaining chunks or pieces of it.
3. Pulled the hose from the inlet side of the water pump, pulled the raw water strainer (clear plastic canister just past the raw water inlet pick up) and back flushed the hose to make sure water was flowing freely - it was.
4. Cracked open the raw water strainer to make sure fresh water was coming in when the gen set was running - it was.
5. Pulled the water pump housing cover and bumped the starter a few times to make sure the impeller was spinning - it was.
6. Replaced the anti-diesel valve.
7. Inspected the inlet and outlet sides of the water pump housing and neither seemed corroded or like there were any restrictions.

At this point whatever the issue is, it seems to be related to something in the system between the water pump housing and the exhaust. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at next here?
Post edited by aves137 on

Comments