Options

Water skiing with rigid hull inflatable

MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have experience water skiing from a rigid hull inflatable?  If so, how big was the inflatable and engine?  How big were the skiers?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You going to get that kind of boat now? Better get a 125 at least
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We did a crewed yacht charter (50ft Catamaran) in the British Virgin Islands a few years ago and we could have skied behind the dinghy (RIB), but didn't. They had all the gear, etc. I can't recall the size of the outboard, but it was a pretty big RIB. It was a center console and would hold our captain and us three couples. 
  • Options
    Yeah the law enforcement and coast guard use those boats
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    MD, the ones that are really nice are the jet style ones.  I saw one on craigslist in DE all summer for around 3k that looked really sharp with a trailer too. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I haven't towed skis, but i do tow kids to adults all the time on the water tube.  I get right up on plane and stay on plane despite whipping them around.  I have a 10' 6" dinghy with Rigid bottom and a 15hp Merc 2 stroke.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the size of the RIB. I could yank around the back of a dedicated water ski boat when on a slalom ski at 40 feet off and one hand cutting. RIB should be okay for kids, teens on two skis - maybe even a small adult but a decent skier (imo) will manhandle most RIBS
  • Options
    Or you could always get a 342 with Diesels and tow 12 skiers. Just sayin
  • Options
    Agreed....Steve you probably could tow 12...it's the torque that pulls skiers and enough hull to hold its place in a straight track (hull fins help too).
  • Options
    MT, you are definitely correct for the slalom skiing.  But, for just pulling around the normal two skiers (& I know MD is looking for kids), a good rib with a fiberglass bottom will work fine.  I remember with my old 24' Sundancer, I'd slalom behind that and get good pull when I lean all the way down to the water cutting.  Sure was fun!  The MasterCraft boats were always great to ski behind, but yes, not a lot of weight there and good slalom one-hand cuts would always pull the back, no matter the size of engine. :)

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my younger days, we use to ski with a john boat with 40 hp on it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a 2001 brig rib. 14' center console with a Honda 50hp outboard. We water skied off of it no problem. Was a light weight boat so the skier could almost pull the boat if the skier was larger but I skied 150 lb people with 2 people on the rib. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks for the responses!

@Handymans342 - Not exactly sure what kind of boat I am going to get but I have ruled out trawlers, sailboats, pontoons, houseboats, ocean racers, and bow riders.

@Dream_Inn - Those jet powered RIBs look pretty cool!  I also like the additional safety aspects of the jet over a prop.  You are correct that it would be mostly for the kids.... but daddy likes to play sometimes too.  :)  Boating in my teens and 20s was all about water skiing with an occasional fishing trip just to prove that we could wake up really early.  The 270 was the first boat I owned that wasn't conducive to water skiing.  Unfortunately ski-ability and livability are diametrically opposed when it comes to boat features. 

@Michael T - Good point to clarify size.  I was thinking of an 11-12 ft RIB.  Something that would also serve as a tender on a 35-40 ft boat.

• Options
    @randy56...when we started skiing we could even get up behind a 25 HP. LOL By the time we got bigger and stronger we could pull the end a bit on big ski boats. My Admiral used to say "I'm keeping the ski boat  straight it's you who is pulling it around. LOL

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if your sold on getting an inflatable but I had a 97 seadoo speedster with twin 85hp jets and it's probably the most fun I've ever had on a boat.  Great for skiing, tubing.   Economical and easy with plenty of parts out there still.  Ski locker in floor. 
  • Options
    Trash, that looks like the ticket for sure!!  I can only imagine the fun on that!

• Options
    Yo, it's gonna be a year or so but  I will get that same boat again! That 15ft rocket will skimm across 12" of water at 55mph with four adults, lol.  And it turns on a dime.   Super easy to work on and awesome to ski with.   You tube and there's a few vids of 97 speedsters.
    MD, I know you were asking about rigid hull inflatables but If you're looking to ski,MD, this is a great option.  Imo, the older ones are more reliable because of the absence of super chargers and other nonsense.  I've seen them for 1- 2k needing a little tlc and for 4-5k turnkey. 
  • Options
  • Options
    @Trashman - That does look like great little ski boat.  However, I was looking for something that could be carried by my next boat.  Sadly my budget doesn't allow for a boat large enough to carry one of those Seadoo Speedsters.
  • Options
    Oooooh,  I got it now.  Yes , you would need a bigger boat to load a speedster onto, lol.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trashman, I bet those kids have a blast with that ! And Dad too. 
    Boat Name :