Options

hit a log.... big log!

Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
Well started our three day holiday by hitting half submerged log. Hit it doing 30 knots! Both drives kicked up to the half position. With a huge bang! It doesn't appear to have any prop damage. However I checked the bilge and there is a slight drip of water from the bottom of the strarboard transom plate when in reverse. Since reverse would pull the plate back... I think there must be some damage to the outside glass or gelcoat or the outer transom plate is no longer tight against the hull when in reverse. All else seems to run fine and no noise. Any one experience something like this? I plan to haul the boat as soon as my mechanic can get me in....

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! If it yanked the drives 1/2 up I'd be looking for drive and hull damage. Hope you dodged anything bad.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited May 2013
    Good luck LG hope there is no real problem. That really sucks....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Have my check list ready. No sign of damage as the drives function as they should. Though they should be checked for allignment. My concern right now is the water dripping in when in reverse. I think there is damage to either the transom plate and or the transom its self.... it will be a week or so before I can have her pulled out. Its aways something over long weekend! At least no one was hurt.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point: no one hurt!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I hit a submerged log once going a bit slower than that. Ripped the out drive (Alpha 1) off. Water coming in quite rapidly. Out drive hanging by the hydrolic lines and steering/shift cables. Luckily I boat in the Ohio river and I got the boat to the side to a private ramp, called home and someone brought up the trailer and we took it out. Insurance spent about $6,000 on it.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    Thank God no one was hurt........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

Update:

Hauled her out this morning.  My mechanic and I looked over everything inside and out.  No visible damage or marks anywhere.  Unbelievable!  He plans to re-tourq the plates and then run a bead of 5200 around the plates/hull to see if that stops the very slight leak while in reverse.  Back in the water Monday. If water sill comes in, I will deal with it at the end of the summer. 

LG

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

Good news! Boy you got lucky!

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Wow....what an incredible break, LG....glad to hear it!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I was convinced you were done. Glad it worked out. Good news is always nice to hear.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options

I guess so!  However it was an experience that makes you wonder how that heck that happened!  I must of hit that log so dead on that LG actually slid right over the top and caught the drives just right.  I forgot to mention the speedo holes do have wood impacted in them.  (Ocean X comes with that) But they are not in use anyway.  Add option later if wanted.  I do not like the idea of 5200 around the plate as it's a band-aid of sorts in my mind.  I am very A-retentive about everything running and looking top notch. I even tried to find quick dry black 5200 to match the bottom paint on the drives.  Only found white.  My wife said who gives a $!## it's under water.  I guess she has a point!

:-B
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Here's hoping that by "speedos" you mean speedometers!
  • Options
    Omg! Lol hard!
  • Options
    MarcdohcMarcdohc Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Hoping it all works out well for ya LG.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you got lucky... That is AWESOME!!!!!!!