Options

Tear in my rear bimini top. Any ideas how to fix that won't look bad or leak?

ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
Hello all. I sustained a tear in my rear bimini top when the corner of a steel sign at a local lake St. Clair restaurant. Their hailing on channel 9  sign stuck out about 4 feet over the seawall and was the perfect height to catch my canvas. I didn’t expect the sign to stick over the seawall as far as it did as I was parallel parking between boats. Its about 4 inches in length. I figured a patch would be in order but concerned on how it will look. Any other ideas or input out there? Thanks in advance. 
Anthony Price 
The Price is Right
MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    If you can get the same material then maybe sew a strip all the way over to the other side following the path of the pole. It will look a little like the hack and it will look like its adding support to the pole....... Just a thought......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right - the best way is to sew a patch of the same material over it either by you or a canvas shop or local sailmaker. Very easy repair. The material is sunbrella, color is Linen Tweed. Patch will look fine, that is the right way to fix. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    That is the way my shop repaired my top, and it has held up fine for the last few years.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can design a patch that will look good, probably would do both sides of the canvas (starboard and portside) so it looks factory. Other idea is to put an iessenglass "skylight" in that area (both sides once again).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    any good canvas shop can you tell you the options/prices
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    iron on patch from behind the hole