Options

5.0 MPI and Alpha in a 232?

Boltzie42Boltzie42 Member Posts: 9
edited September 2016 in Engine Discussions

I'm looking to purchase a used 232 in good condition with a 5.0 MPI and an Alpha outdrive.  From what I've read, the boat should do low 40's at WOT and I couldn't get there.  The boat seemed sluggish out of the hole and also was revving higher than the 4800 rpm listed as WOT.  It was close to 5500 rpm.  My problem is that I'm comparing it to my current 21.5' boat that is powered by a 5.7 EFI / Alpha that will plane in 3 seconds and run 59 mph top speed and is probably overpowered.  Two completely different boats I understand, but I wasn't expecting the slow holeshot or top end to be that bad.  The boat is docked and has been in the water since May, so I'm not sure if that would effect anything with the algae growing on the hull and outdrive.  I pull my 21.5' out every day so that's not an issue I have to deal with. 

I don't know the pitch of the prop (owner said he thought it was a 21), I just know it's a 3-blade stainless.  The outdrive does have a hydrofoil on it.   I was thinking a lesser pitch for the holeshot, but I'm already over the WOT rpm so going this route would just make it worse.  What's everyone's opinion on Trim Tabs (Smart Tabs)?  This boat should be able to run in the low 40's and I just don't see that possible.

Post edited by Boltzie42 on

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 232 and a 236. I can\t even imagine that boat being anywhere near acceptable with a 5.0L Low 40s - not with a 5.0 IMO.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I have a 232 with the 350 MAG/Bravo III, and I couldn't imagine a 5.0 and Alpha doing well. My boat does okay getting on plane, and will run about 51-52 on the GPS. 
  • Options
    mrclark321mrclark321 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 246 and when I first got the boat it has a 4 blade aluminum and it was a pig to get on plane with 5 people in the boat, I switched to a 3 blade stainless and added a whale tale and it helped and now get up over 40 mph with three in the boat but I agree that the 5.0 is underpowered for the boat