Options

Planning a trip to Georgian Bay next season

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I've started plotting courses, scouting marinas and locating anchorages for a mini-loop up the Michigan side of Lake Huron, across to the North Channel and down the Canadian side with several stops along the way.  I have about 13 days allocated to the trip.  The US side is pretty slim, from home to Port Austin, then to Mackinac Island.  The plan is to do a mix of anchor out  and marina stays.  We overnight on the hook normally so that's nothing new for us.

What I'm looking for is any dos, don'ts, must sees and must avoids in the Georgian Bay area.

Our planned stops in Canada include:
Spanish
Benjamin Islands
Gore Bay
Little Current
The Pool
Killarney
Beckwith Island
Tobermory

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Sounds like a fantastic trip!  I used to visit Wasaga beach area, but in winter time for snow skiing.  Had a buddy whose family owned a bunch of cottages there.  Never got to go in the summer, but I only imagined how crazy nice that beach is in the summer!  Largest fresh water beach in the world!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    HedgeHedge Member Posts: 24 ✭✭

I assume you will take all or part of the small craft route between Port Severn and Little Current which has many anchorages but if looking for Marinas,  Parry Sound Municipal Marina is a great stop (home and museum of Bobby Orr) with downtown within walking distance, also Henry's Fish and Chips on  Frying Pan Island is a must stop and they have overnight mooring. Midland is another nice stop with much to see and do within walking distance of the Marina.  My suggestion would be to not spend much time on Lake Huron and spend as much as you can in Georgian Bay.

http://www.henrysfishrestaurant.com/

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Stodge--have you seen the YouTube channel for BoatsBeachesAndBars? I boat in NY but love seeing all the videos of the beautiful waterways and locks in Canada. He has a ton of videos. He has traveled all through the area you are looking to go. You may like to contact him for tips and to share experiences.
  • Options
    OK great info Hedge and Serenity.  I will add these to my notes and check out YouTube.

• Options
    SERENDIPITYSERENDIPITY Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    HI there  we are boaters from the north shore.our home port is little current since 2009.we have been  to spanish/benjamin/gore bay the pool killarney and to tobermory by ferry(chi-cheemaun)we have travelled from  sault ste marie  to  parry sound other anchorages .we have the same great  boat.we are in the water from may long weekend to middle of sept  .we would be happy to provide you with any  info .I would recommend that you look up POWERBOAT  TELEVISION .its a program in Canada  that visit  different boating areas here  .they made a production of the whole  NORTH SHORE  .keep in touch Rick

• Options
    Their site is  WWW.POWERBOATTV.COM
  • Options
    Great info thanks.  Any chance you know about Bears Back Island?  Trying to find out if anchoring in the cove there is allowed.

• Options
    I have friends  on the west and east side  who  motor of  georgian bay  where abouts is it

• Options
    Bears Back Island (46°01'29.5"N 82°06'15.0"W) just South of Amedroz Island

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I follow a guy on YouTube that goes by the handle of boatsbeachesandbars in a Sea Ray sedan bridge and he's all over Georgian bay and the Trent Severn waterway.  He really does post great videos of his travels.  Check him out.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    You might like to heck out Wingfield Basin.   It is on the north shore at the very east side of the Bruce Peninsula.  It is a great anchorage.  A nice straight in well marked channel to the entrance.  We spent some time there in 2010 before going over to Tobermory.  Tobermory was awesome too.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, adding to my notes.