Options

Rinker Review

This morning there was a pretty damaging review/feedback on a 2015 220 posted to the Rinker facebook page.  I didn't see it personally but it was followed up by posts to the Rinker Boat Owners Facebook site as well. 

It was quickly removed from the Rinker site but I wondered if anyone saw it and can shed light on what happened, etc. 

Comments

• Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭

This is all that's left....
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the dealer be the one to fix the boat and make things right?  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Stodge said:
    Wouldn't the dealer be the one to fix the boat and make things right?  

Under normal circumstances.  These people seem to be implying that the boat was so bad that the factory was involved and that Rinker leadership failed to address their concerns. 

The info was out there for awhile and I'm sure that Rinker has the other side to the story.  Be nice to see Rinker provide their perspective so it doesn't seem so damaging, whatever it was. 
    Post edited by elarson5757 on
  • Options
    Yes it would.  I imagine the recent transition at Rinker may have tossed a wrench into the customer service process.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they are rushing
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    I am going to refrain from barking about today's entitled consumers and how they immediately attack on social media for the slightest inconvenience.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    I am going to refrain from barking about today's entitled consumers and how they immediately attack on social media for the slightest inconvenience.  
    Could not agree more. Reasonableness goes out the window quickly far too often. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Just checked out the FB page and the problem with this boat was an outdrive issue. I would assume that if they bought this boat brand new that they should be dealing with the dealer. Am I correct with that? However I do think Rinker should have called or e-mailed back. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Just checked out the FB page and the problem with this boat was an outdrive issue. I would assume that if they bought this boat brand new that they should be dealing with the dealer. Am I correct with that? However I do think Rinker should have called or e-mailed back. 
    I couldn't find any details as to what it was nor what they had done.  I can only imagine based on what I did find that they were dealing with the dealer to resolve it and it got to the point where the dealer either wasn't able or chose not to resolve it and it got to the factory.  

As for the dealers I can only speak to the one I have dealt with and I hope it's not typical.  It's a big dealer but it's a dump, no parking, disorganized crap everywhere, with no communication. It's been a screw up with every activity I've needed their support on as it relates to parts, etc.   The only time communication was good and frankly it was over the top was when I was looking at a new boat. 
  • Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    Their is always two sides to each story.  I like to hear both sides b4 coming to any conclusion.  I always apply that to any situation when dealing with a complaint.
  • Options
    checkmate said:
    Their is always two sides to each story.  I like to hear both sides b4 coming to any conclusion.  I always apply that to any situation when dealing with a complaint.
    Absolutely agree and that's why I posted.  Hoping to hear what happened as I hate to see this happen at a such a great point of rebuilding for Rinker.  
  • Options
    checkmate said:
    Absolutely agree and that's why I posted.  Hoping to hear what happened as I hate to see this happen at a such a great point of rebuilding for Rinker.

@elarson5757 and checkmate that was my point in posting what I saw on FB. This should have been dealt with the dealer. Now granted maybe Rinker should have called or e-mailed but who knows what went on there. People sometimes are very quick to jump on social media. FB and others like it are EVIL.......... but not the RBOC....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the deleted post.

David Garrison
    David Garrison Here is my deleted post

Buyer beware.

Last fall I purchased a Rinker MTX 220, a 2015 model. My wife and I were very excited about the boat. It was purchased late in the year, so we were unable to use it. We are anxiously waited till spring.

We were able to get our boat out for the five hour break in. Shortly after Mother's Day. It's a slow process as most of you know.

After the first couple of hours when we were able to put the RPMs over 3000. The boat would only do 15 miles an hour.

Our dealer immediately came and got the boat and discovered that it had been shipped with the improper prop.

This was the week before memorial weekend and it took until the following weekend to be repaired. The boat was tested with only one person in the boat and seemed to perform fine.

We continue to break in. The boat had a difficult time planimg out and rode extremely rough. But it was a new boat and my background was in V-drive ski boats. So we took it out again the next weekend.

The boat literally beat us to death going down the lake, my wife actually said that she was going to have to buy a swimming suit with a better more supportive bra cup, because it hurts so badly.

The Next weekend we tried to pull a two were too young middle school boys in it. We had four other people in the boat. We had to move three of them to the bow of the boat in order to plane the boat out in tow the tube.

I am mediately called the boat dealer. They started making inquiries with Rinker.

This was about a week or so before July 4

I was not very patient, as you can imagine I was very frustrated by this point.

When answers were not coming fast enough through the distributor, I started calling Rinker. The fourth time I called, I finally talk to the accounting manager, who promised the right person would call me. However, he failed to mention that they were closing the entire week after Fourth of July .

During that week I called the local Rinker dealer and got some tests to run. I recorded all of these tests, including videos. The boat would almost stand up on end when you accelerated. Literally we had to have three or four people in the bow to even attempt to pull a tube, I wake boarder or skier was out of the question.

I did receive a phone call from the right person at Rinker, After the factory reopened.It was obvious that he thought it would be a nuisance call, but he did at least listen.

I sent him the videosmy wife had taken of the boat. I literally could not see over the top of the boat without standing up and even then it was difficult when we try to take off from Idol.

Things move pretty quickly for a short time. They came and got my boat, I don't know what they did but currently it runs fine. As it should have what it was shipped.

This took until almost the end of July. Had I not been a very squeaky wheel and raised ****. The problem may not be fixed to this day. As it was, it took two thirds of the boating season in Indiana to get the boat fixed.

I have tried numerous times to contact Rinker president, Kim Slocum. I feel I am duecompensation for the mess that was delivered, I purchased a new boat and should not of had to go through all of this.

I have sent numerous emails and left more than one voicemail, she has failed to even give me the courtesy of a return email or phone call.

The dealer I purchased the boat from has also talk to her personally about this. He has not been able to get information. When I last talked to him right after Labor Day. He was very surprised that I had not yet been contacted and made whole by Rinker.

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to raise a stink in this matter. It is very sad that the customer service at Rinker is so poor, that I matter that has been brought to the presidents attention, receives no attention from the company. I am thoroughly disappointed with my experience. I cannot possibly tell you how many hours and how much effort it took to get this boat repaired.

It had come to the point where my wife and I have decided just to trade the boat and take a loss if it could not be fixed. The dealer we purchased it from was there with us the whole time and is just as frustrated as we are, that Rinker is not back up their products better.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I get that he was upset, but tucked in the middle of the post, he states that the boat runs fine now.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    So let me get this straight.  He bought a boat, it had a problem, it was fixed but not as fast as he would have liked so he feels he deserves something for his trouble?

If I bought a car, and there was a problem I'd expect it to be fixed.  I would not expect a check for my "pain and suffering".

• Options
    Mr. Garrison thinks that Kim Slocum is a lady. He also lives in Indiana. If I lived that close to the factory, I would drive up there and see what was going on and talk to them face to face.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like the outdrive was trimmed out too much.  That would be consistent with excessive bow rise and rough ride from porpoising.  It also sounds like the dealer failed to diagnose/repair the problem and "passed the buck" to Rinker.  Unless it was as simple as the owner didn't know how to trim in the outdrive before accelerating to plane I find it hard to believe that this problem could not be identified following the prop replacement when only one person was on the boat.

What types problems should be handled by the dealer vs boat manufacturer vs engine/drive manufacturer? 

Is it not standard to do a test ride with the dealer at the time of purchase?  It sounds like this problem would have been identified immediately by an experienced opetator.  The one time I bought a new boat, the dealer took me out for a test drive and went over all of the major systems.   

• Options
    It also sounds to me like Mr Garrison got the "run around" from the dealer. How does he know the dealer made all those phone calls? The dealer COULD have been the one to drop the ball. However IMO Rinker C/S should have called the boat owner. I totally agree with MDboater, sounds like the boat had too much trim. That is what I was thinking when reading the post. Maybe there was a problem with the out drive trim and Mr Garrison thought it was all the way down but it was still up. Who knows what really happened with the whole story at least the boat is now fixed and Mrs Garrison's boobs are OK now............ Just say'n.........
  • Options
    On the Rinker Owners Facebook page he mentioned that the drive was improperly installed at the factory. He wouldn't give me anymore information.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the guy didn't know how to trim an outdrive. As well he probably didn't know to look at the trim ram shims to see if he could get some more negative trim. Not to be rude but anyone who has experience with a ski boat (I've owned three - two direct drives and one OB) and thinks an MTX is going to pull like a ski boat doesn't know much about boats. I also agree 100% with previous comments. Not the way I would have handled the situation or have handled boating issues in the past.   
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    ..... and Mrs Garrison's boobs are OK now............ 
    Thankfully, she doesn't have to invest in more structurally robust aquatic wear.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....there are many attendant costs to boating....boobs are but one of them. Just ask Joe!
  • Options
    Yea clearly there is the rest of the story. I'm always surprised when people make no attempt to help themselves.  He LET the dealer give him the runaround.  If the dealer first thought it had the wrong prop on it that's fixable in a couple days at most and he better take one off another boat immediately if he had one, etc. 

Also so clearly not a guy to do an ounce of research, ask anyone questions, etc. Stated he didn't know what they did but it was running good now??  Really?  After all that you don't make it a point to find out what was done, why, by whom?  Good lord...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    edited September 2016
    I had to chuckle at this:  "The boat literally beat us to death" ... he literally does not know what "literally" means.  

But seriously.  If the boat had the wrong prop, that's either (1) a quality control issue at the factory, OR (2) the dealership needed a prop and stole one from this guy's boat.  (Don't laugh, it happens all the time.)  But the dealership made it right within a week.

Then the buyer used the boat for two weeks before starting to make phone calls -- by which time the factory was closed for the holiday.  OK, unfortunate timing. 

As soon as the factory reopened, Rinker fixed the problem.  But the guy continues to gripe and pitch a stink because he feels entitled to "due compensation."  How is he "due" any compensation other than fixing the problem?
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like 'operator error'. Gotta be 3/4's handy to be a boater. Easy to spot technically challenged folk.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    yup...sound like the drive was trimmed way up when he was trying to plane, then got beat up because the boat was porpousing.....ugh
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are for sure to many people with money to buy a boat that lack the common sense to operate it! As above, if your not handy and a little mechanical (if not a lot ) I don't see boating being a pleasurable experience.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helps to be retired too. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Is it just me or does 4 people in the cockpit of a 220 trying to pull 2 people on a tube sound like alot of weight for a 220? Sounds like they probably also operate where there is a lot of chop if the boat is beating them up. I would expect it to stand up especially if they were trimmed up too much. 
    Sounds like the trim up was due to some type of miss installation or something with the drive from the factory and not that he was trimmed up to far. Maybe setup wrong. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are funny, all probly are all correct. Here's some interesting facts.

Carmel IN - the highest per capta income town in the state.
    Indianapolis IN -10 miles away population 1 million.
    Nearest body of water to Carmel, Morse Res. 1500 acres, very small way over populated with boats. always a rough place, never flat.
    Big boobs bounce more.

Boat Name :