Starting Issue

halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
I noticed last season as well as this year that when starting my engine(350 mag) that with the first turn of the key ,the starter engages but quits after 1 second. I restart and get about 2 seconds of cranking before that too cuts out. Usually a third attempt the engine will fully crank until it fires then all is fine. Just curious what is starting to fail. Replaced battery in 2015 as well as starter solenoid(the one that sits on top of the engine that seems to fail often).  It was random for a while but now becoming more common.  

Comments

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Either corrosion on the starter wires or main ground
    starter itself going bad
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @zaverin1  Thanks .I'll try to have a look at it before storage. Hopefully it is not an engine lift job.
  • floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    could also be the starter solenoid, they get burnt and make spotty contact. on top of the motor with 4 wires... 2 about 10ga.( to starter and from battery) and 2 about 18ga. ( ground and key) $30. mine got spotty while trying to start, one time 3 tries the next 10 tries then the next 2-3 tries, I thought of starter too but read up on it and decided to try the easier thing, starter solenoid, and that was it fires up every time now. pulled old one apart and it had almost no clean contact area on both sides .
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem with my 5.0 mercuiser. I had a crack in the motor head and water was getting in the motor. Now I had a leak with water shooting up from a block plug and water sprayed all over the motor causing it to crank but not start. I was told they had to replace the spark plugs and send the fuel jets out to be cleaned and hope to have it back this weekend.  Good luck with yours.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Ouch Bayrunner.......I hope its not that. Might just pick up the ol' $30 solenoid in the Spring  that  floater suggests. Good to have a spare on board anyway.