Options

Data Up-Grades for Electronics

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Garmin GPS on my 2013 EC 310 and Raymarine GPS/Radar on my 2014 EC 360 and Vessel View on both. I had enhanced GPS map chips in both boats.

I have noticed that a number of you have been working on your electronics. You probably know this but the manufacturers of all of the products I mentioned offer data up-grades. There are times of the year when there are specials on with a promo code that gives you a cheaper one time up-grade or cheaper multiple up-grades. If I get sent any promo codes I'll post them. But maybe they are also on line?

I also took advantage of the free Vessel View data up-grades offered by Mercury Marine.  At first the dealer had to be involved with their software but the last time I did it the dealer said, we're kind of busy why don't you do it yourself. I used the dealer's code and got the web site from them and after a few hiccups it went great. Actually my PC and the Admiral's ultrabook had more horsepower than the dealer's tech lap top.

So, while you guys are getting ready for winter or over the winter you may want to see if you can get any free or reduced price up-grades. They worked great for me.

One thing I advise to be careful with is up-loading the special program from Navionics for their GPS chips that allows you to access shore info from restaurants to shoe stores and use it as overlays on your charts. It is a lot of data and your GPS might not like it.

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1st gen vessel view.  I asked Merc about updates when I put it in and they said nothing was ever produced.  I do keep up on the GPS updates.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge, I do not know at what point Mercury started providing V V up-dates but I was told it was done on my 2013 EC 310 and it WAS done on my 2014 EC 360. There was a website. I'll see if I have a record of it anywhere. I live in a condo now and get rid of files when I no longer use them.