Checking the Engine Oil 350 Merc.

seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Just received my 2009 280 Rinker.  During my Sea Trail I notice that the oil presure gage was a reading a little on the higher end.   When we got back to shore I pulled the dip stick and the oil level was well above the max.   I later the next day remove about 3 liters of oil to bring it back down to the fill level.  When I email the broker he states the following:

"I Had talked to our tech here as I did mention to him about the high oil level and he had said that because the 350 mag has a remote oil filter system that the oil has to be checked right after engine is turned off as the oil needs to fill the oil lines and filter."

I this the case????  Or am I being handed down a line here?  Do I have any other concerns here.   I was running about 1 hour with this level of oil.

What is the procedure for checking my oil????

Comments

• ScottKScottK Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Your oil filter and lines are not going to hold that much oil.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the oil with the engine off. Filled to the dip stick level. Don't buy the line you got.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I agree with BD you got a line of you know what...... Sounds like some one over filled or under drained during an oil change. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    If you had a remote bladder such as in Harley's that answer would be correct but the filter will always hold oil and the lines. Would hold less then a quart. Seeing as how the oil filter is most likely vertical it will not drain back and cause a high oil level situation. Like the previous comments stated that mechanic was blowing smoke. High oil levels can cause damage over prolonged use. Generally it can seep into the valve seals but again that takes time and old worn engines. Cheers and good luck
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to thank everyone for there comments.....I thought so....but new to boating and wanted to check.

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the tech is saying is they added extra oil to fill the filter and after the first start the level should be checked. Now 3 litres extra is a MASSIVE amount of extra oil. Do hey are creating an excuse here.

As you know too much oil will cause frothing in the pan which can cause air to enter the system. Closely follow the break in instructions and check you oil level after each excursion. Keep a log/diary and make sure you do the 20 hour service.

Hope everything Is good with your engine.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"