Options

oil change

tboattboat Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Changing oil on my 350 mag. It has a threaded boss on the dipstick opening and I was wondering what size thread it is. Might attach a hose to a drill motor pump to extract the oil. Looks like a garden hose size. What tool do you all use to change your oil. Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be using the moeller extractor tomorrow
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has a tube tied to the drain plug, from the oil pan. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Yes same thread as a garden hose
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Mine has a tube tied to the drain plug, from the oil pan. 
    So does mine...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    There are pumps that attach to the threaded part of the tube, manual and electric are available. There is also an electric pump that has a small tube that goes inside the dipstick tube, that will reach a little lower in the pan. On a lot of the mercruiser engines oil pans, there is a fitting with a hose attached that is plugged at the end, and the hose will fit through the bilge drain hole. This will drain the most oil out of the pan. Whatever method you use to extract the old oil, it helps to run the engine first to heat up the oil so it flows easier.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea It's important on the mercruiser to make sure that the tube will fit down the dipstick. Today I could not even get a 7/32" tube in the dipstick on my 350 to suck out oil. Fortunately then changer came with the hose attachment to attach to the top of the dipstick and suck the oil out that way. Worked well.  I recommend being prepared to attach to dipstick top. Good luck 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg Where is this tube you speak of? 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    On some of the electric pumps they have a small flexable plastic tube that can fit down the dipstick tube and reach the bottom of the oil pan.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is attached to the drain plug. If it isn't on the drain plug, it should be screwed to the transom wall on the same side as the batteries. Mine was there because the PO never had it attached to the plug. If the oil is warm, it drains rather quickly.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!