Options

Oil high on dipstick

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
X
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Post edited by Liberty44140 on

Comments

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    before every start up I have a habit of checking oil, drive oil, steering oil and antifreeze levels. It's just how I was raised. If there were any engine issues  you would have knowledge of what these levels usually are. Good call on the marine grade oil n filters. Odds are you can use any good grade product but  I've learned there is a reason certain  parts and lubes are specifically for marine use. Thankfully the high level wasn't water!  
    ...After the recent post about an engine being wiped out, I'm particularly anal about my pre trip inspection. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My marina used to over fill my 350 Mags. In reality, with filter, they take 4qts. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    X

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Liberty44140...with your description you should be fine.

With all of my engines(3.0, 4.3, 350 Mag, 383, 502 Mag) I always put some oil in the filter first (although with the new Mercury High Efficiency that is not as critical as they are better built), then filled the block through the oil intake using LESS oil than the manufacturer recommended, heated the engines up, read the sticks then topped-up. Always worked.

I'm sure you know this but if the old oil is not heated to normal engine operating temperature then you will be leaving a lot of acids, contaminants and maybe some small molecular water in the engine. As well, it is faaaar easier to remove the oil by any method when it is hot.....just watch your hands!

BTW, the best engine builders I have ever met, Hawk Marine in Florida and Larry Slaxon, in Ontario, both said the same thing about engine operation: When leaving the dock make sure you warm the engines up to normal operating temperature then continue to run them for another 2 minutes to allow all metal parts to reach their designed co-efficients of volumetric expansion. Do that and you'll put us out of business! :-)

My 2 cents for the day.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    X

• Options

@Liberty44140. In my opinion you are fine it was just the case of an overfill.

I have even seen the techs at my marina change oil on engines that have not been warmed-up.

I was always present when my oil was changed or did it myself..... and ran them for 15 minutes (overkill I know, but I'm ocd where my engines are concerned). I have heard many boat owners complain of high oil levels....and of course it scares the crap out of you until you discover there isn't any AF or water in the oil!

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question ... oil was not thinned out right?  That could happen if running rich and fuel gets into the oil, which is obviously not a good thing, as the oil loses its viscosity.

Also, you were dry docked? I assume the engines are level?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited August 2019
    X

• Options
    IMO, if there was that much fuel the oil would be thinner, smell and have a different color and maybe eve a sheen at that ratio. IMO you have a simple case of overfill. Also it doesn't take much to shift the marks on a marine dip stick. Changes in boat attitude due to fuel, water and waste can move the oil level on the dip stick.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    X

• Options

I think you will be fine. If the oil is getting whipped into a foamy-like liquid (aerated) I believe you would have heard lifter noise. I would not worry. It happens waaay more than people know.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you would see it noticably thinner if there was that much fuel in it.

If the overfilled caused foaming of the oil (which is the big concern), you would have picked up some pretty irratic oil pressures and had an alarm.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"