Options

Generator Location

KerryKerry Member Posts: 1
Hello members

Im new to this forum, and i have a 310 Model  yr 2000 with only 220hrs which does not have a generator,
Im wanting to add a 5E but not sure where it would go, i have 2 storage bins in front of the water tank and assume 
it would go there,  does anyone have any pics or schematic of where and how it should be located,,

thanks
Kerry

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would only belong in the engine bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Port side just aft of the firewall in the engine room. You will have to remove the alternator and the heat exchanger along with a pulley or two from your port engine to get a 5e in there. I had a 2001 310 and had the generator removed for major service and then reinstalled 
    Post edited by Liberty44140 on
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you want to do that or investigate the use of one of the (there are several) very small, lightweight and quiet portable generators that will run AC or other appliances? There have been extensive discussions about this type of mod on this forum and several guys have done amazing mods that you may wish to peruse before slapping down some big $$$$$. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can snag running 5e's on ebay for good prices. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I am planning on replacing my 5E with a Westerbeak.  The 5E is 10 years old and is just too temperamental.  It has been sort of a pain from day 1.
  • Options
    Can you remove it with out removing the motor?
  • Options
    My opinion is that you have to remove the motor.  Something the experts at Marsh Harbor can do in, maybe an hour.
  • Options
    You should get a diesel generator. 0 issues with mine. LOL
  • Options
    Motor will need to come out. Ne interesting how the swap goes and how it works!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Are you guys sure that the motor has to come out on the 342? When I removed the 5e on my 310 it did not have to come out, just some parts removed like I mentioned above. Randy Rinker told me to do that rather than remove the engine. There is more room in front of the engines on my 342 than the 310 so I can't imagine the motor has to come out.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if the motor has to come out but IF that motor has to come out I don't think that can be done in an hour, the last time I saw a motor come out of a 342 and then go back in was an 8 hour R&R and I thought that was pretty fast.
  • Options
    If you have the 'older' 342 there is virtually no room in front of the engines. No way it comes out without pulling an engine. Here is my set up  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    My hour estimate was for pulling one engine.  8 hours round trip seems about how I remember it.  My engine remove and replace was a total repower so there was  trauma associated with that operation that may have distorted the actual times as remembered.
  • Options
    Hey BD, I get it, major difference from a 310 or my set up: