Options

Batteries...questions

NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
I know the subject has been abused on this forum, but I have what I think are unique questions.  Has anyone changed just their house bank to 6V golf cart flooded?  If so, does the older charger (2005) have any trouble charging the set?  I would have two 12V starting batteries and two 6V in series for the house. 

Lastly, some of the 6V are really pricey, some are not too bad.  What brands do you have, if you have them?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 group 31s in parallel for a house and the charger does just fine.  I would think 2 6v in series to make a big 12v would be ok.

Curious why you're doing that versus to 12v batteries in parallel?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, there are so many solutions now available that are far superior to golf cart batteries. Series 31 AGMs, Series 31 TPPL AGMs and Mastervolt and other manufacturers with advanced systems and combinations. I usually try to look forward technology wise.

A big key to performance (imo the biggest by far) that can double the Ahs of battery banks (two or more batteries) is to hook them up properly as has been discussed at length on the forum. 

Also not hooking-up batteries of different condition as the lesser will draw down the entire bank....and, of course, not mixing battery chemistries - although some newer chargers will handle mixed charging rates for different chemistries why do it?

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee MT you should be in the Bahamas now
  • Options
    Hey Steve, just returned home from Aruba, for a transfusion here at home, heading to Palm Springs for a couple of weeks at the end of October.....you got a gps fix on me? LOL
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I can see a 7 foot dork from anywhere
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    My issue is that only grp 27's will fit in the space available without running battery cables all over the engine room.  I currently have two hooked up in parallel and I am not at all happy with my on the hook longevity with just the radio and fridge running.  I was thinking some of the newer 6v batteries (compatible with my current charger) would be a better and cheaper solution.

• Options

Given that added info your short term solution could be golf cart batteries.

I know guys who have used them but were not particularly impressed. I will be interested to see how it works for you.

I certainly can see where you are not getting longevity from 2 series 27s.

In the 360 I owned I had 3 series 31 AGMs and they were great. I used to forget to turn the two fridges down while cruising along at 1000 rpm and they didn't even register as a draw.

Had I kept the boat we were going to either add a fourth series31AGM or switch to the new TPPL AGM technology.