replacement stereo amps

floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
there are so many amps out there it drives me crazy. I have a 2005 captiva 212 rx-1 that I replaced my original amp the 1st season I had this boat, it was already 5- 6 years old, so I purchased a exact replacement which is about 3yrs old and half the amp doesn't work. I'm looking to upgrade now but I don't want to spend a lot since they only last 2 yrs. I have 7 speakers so I'm looking for a 6 channel (4 channels to run the 6 interior 6 1/2" and the last 2 channels bridged for subwoofer). what brand do you guys run? my setup is a sony head unit and speakers which are now 4 sonys and 2 mtxs with 1 kicker 10" sub which I think is going. any input and info would help my deciding on which amp will work. the ones I'm looking at have some good reviews and some bad reviews..... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Comments

• NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I think if you plunked down the money for a quality amplifier it would last longer.  But something like JL Audio M1000 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698358/JL-Audio-M1000-5v2.html) ain't cheap. 

Secondly, amplifiers are sensitive to moisture, (even marine rated ones) and vibration, most boat manufacturers do not take this into account when choosing a location to mount it. When I had my 22' bowrider I found a location under the dash but mounted it on the TOP section so the amp itself was upside down then used a closed cell foam pad and some rubber mounting spacers under the amp (between the boat and the amp) to reduce the vibration and or bouncing that might occur on a smaller boat.  It had lasted almost four years when I sold the boat.

• floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    yea, this one had NO rubber pads to stop vibration, so when I do the next one i'll get some pads about 3/8" -1/2" and longer bolts. mine is 2005 21' captiva rx1, it's mounted under gauge panel, back wall in the flip down trash can area, for the most part no moisture but there is also good ventilation there. thanks for your input!
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I dunno about concluding that you will get only 2 seasons out of any amplifier you install but I understand your frustration.   I had a 2001 Sea Ray Sundeck (open bow) which had a Clarion amplifier mounted in the enclosed compartment under the dash.  The amplifier was original and still working fine after 13+ years when I sold the boat. 
    edited October 2016
    I'm thinking...no moisture, good air flow, all that's left is vibration and shocks.. will be fixed for new amp.
    update: I ordered the 8 channel amp I have been researching...GUESS WHAT, it doesn't fit like the other 2amps. too long and too thick, just got the measurements from a forum, seemed nobody had the stats...should have been a red flag, but after some.. a lot of refitting measurements and head scratching and drawing, redrawings and it will fit but not without a lot of nasty words! boats are soo fun, ain't they?