Options

I have a 2006 340, twin 270 Volvo engines with the new metal outdrives. What RPMs for best efficency

For the best plane I have to run between3500 and 4000. Seems like I an spinning the engines way to high.  the trim is set down

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So before you take off, lower tabs all the way then full throttle till up on plane. Then raise tabs all the way and then trim drives up till you hit the sweet spot. Even diesels can do this. LOL
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3800-4000
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually - but NOT always - the rpm to mph ratio dictates the best fuel economy. So, I'd get the boat on plane back off until it started to porpoise or feel like it wanted to slip off plane then slightly increase the rpms. Once you find the sweet spot on plane you can tap the throttles back until your mph start to drop. At that point you are probably at your best fuel efficiency. I have tested this against the data from my vessel view readings and found it to be very accurate. As Al said wind, temperature, humidity, wave action, hull cleanliness and hull design all change settings, but what I mentioned doing worked very well for me. After a while with your boat you will be able to feel and hear when you are at or close to your best rpms.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes 28 to 30 is my best mph for fuel but I did 32 to 34 for 5 hours non stop to Key West