Options

Offer accepted on 2006 270 FV - added a few pictures

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
I am moving up from a 22 express cruiser to a 270 FV and couldn't be more excited.  The boat seems to have been meticulously maintained and has 395 hours on the Volvo 5.7 GI.  I have been diligently reading all of the great information on this site and have a pretty good feel for the pros and cons. The 5.7 may be a littler under-powered, but typically it will just be 2 - 4 people on board. It has heat and AC, windlass and full camper canvas. It does not have the arch (which I really wish it had). Getting a compression test tomorrow and then sea trial Friday.
Post edited by luvinlife on

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Nice! You'll love it, I have the same combo, and only time I wish for more power is if I get about 8 people on.

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Most important question: does is have a Volvo XDP outdrive?  This is the outdrive made from a composite material and it has created problems for many people.
  • Options
    MDboater said:
    Most important question: does is have a Volvo XDP outdrive?  This is the outdrive made from a composite material and it has created problems for many people.

Ohhh forgot about that.
  • Options
    MDboater said:

Were they mostly used in salt water? I have never seen any up this way.
  • Options
    It has a Volvo outdrive with duo props but I am not sure of the model. Hope it's not the bad one!  I will be pulling it out on Friday as part of the sea trial if the compression test passes. Are all of the Volvo duo props the XPD? It is and has been a salt water boat. 
  • Options
    Looks like the XDP outdrive is black and exhausts through the hub. I did perk at the outdrive on my personal inspection and it looked like it wax ablative painted Andy gag the exhaust was above the prop. Hope it isn't the XPD 
  • Options
    I would not buy a boat with the XDP outdrives unless the price was discounted to account for replacement of the outdrive and transom assembly.  This assumes that I can be certain that the engine was not compromised by an earlier outdrive problem. 

Here is a link to some info on a class action lawsuit against Volvo.  

"The majority of complaints outline concerns related to 2006 and 2007 models, including about 2,400 boats with 5.7-liter and 8.1-liter engines equipped with XDP outdrives."

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/faulty-volvo-xdp-class-action-lawsuit

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I passed up a  2005 270 with a bow thruster for 25,000 because of the drive and engine being a volvo.. (I mean I guess in the end the one I chose was a pos too haha)
  • Options
    It's a really bad situation in that many Volvo owners have outdrives that work fine but are a high risk to anyone who buys them.  When looking at used boat prices you can pick most of the Volvo powered boats because they are priced lower than the same model with Mercruiser power.  Caveat emptor.

IMHO, Volvo didn't do nearly enough for it's customers to correct the issue.
  • Options
    I will let you all know what outdrive it has. If it's the XDP I will back out. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also - if you want the arch, get one with the arch.  There's a couple things I settled for (no arch was one of them) and if I could do the whole thing over again i wouldn't settle at all. 
  • Options
    Just heard back from the broker and the outdrive is not the composite XDP, thank God!  J3ff, I hear you regarding the arch. The deal I got is excellent. Low enough to that I could add the arch and still be happy with the price. Probably won't be adding radar, just like the look of an arch. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont believe broker. Wait for surveyor. 
  • Options
    MDboater said:
    It's a really bad situation in that many Volvo owners have outdrives that work fine but are a high risk to anyone who buys them.  When looking at used boat prices you can pick most of the Volvo powered boats because they are priced lower than the same model with Mercruiser power.  Caveat emptor.

Your saying ALL Volvo boats, are priced lower? I don't agree with that, there is certainly nothing wrong with a regular Volvo DP drive/engine combo, nor have I found them priced lower, with the exception of the junk XDP drives.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a couple Pro's and con's of arch

Pro's - Look cool, great place for lights, tv antenna, flags, ect.

Con - sticks up over 12'  going down the road on the trailer, Watch out for tree limbs ect. you have to have a tall door, 13 ft,  for winter storage, setting on the trailer. 

Good luck luvin, the 270 is a great adorable, trailer-able,  affordable, family cruiser.

Run - if it has XDP drive
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MDboater said:

Your saying ALL Volvo boats, are priced lower? I don't agree with that, there is certainly nothing wrong with a regular Volvo DP drive/engine combo, nor have I found them priced lower, with the exception of the junk XDP drives.
    No, I did not mean to say or imply that all Volvo powered boats are priced lower.  What I was trying say was that most of the sterndrive powered boats that are at the lower end of the price range or low priced outliers have Volvo power.  Almost all of these lower prices are related to the XDP drives.  There are plenty of sellers that have their Volvo XDP powered boats price comparable with Bravo 3 boats.  I'm sure there are buyers that don't know about the problem and will buy these boats.  

I completely agree that the problem is confined to the XDP drive.  The OceanX drives get terrific reviews.   Given the Bravo 3 problems with bearing carrier, swivel shaft, and water pickup line corrosion there are good arguments that the OceanX is a superior drive. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a 2005 310 in the Raystown Lake area of PA that has the XDP drives. They have the thing discounted to $50k. It is a beautiful boat, but those drives have scared people away. I wonder if the drives can be swapped for the traditional metal duoprop drives that Volvo offers verses putting the ocean X drive on since this particular one is a fresh water boat?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    As I understand it, changing out the XDP drive (regardless of what you replace it with) requires an engine removal and transom assembly change.  Expect to pay $15-20K per engine for the job.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

$50k really isn't a discount for a 2005 310.  I've seen same year 342 go for that.

Several people on here have replaced the drives, they could definitely tell you the cost.  I had thought it was 20-25k for both engines/drives, but that's off memory.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the shout out @shawnmjr.   Lol.  Its still for sale .   
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    X2 on Dream's comments. When I was shopping I looked at 342's with the composite volvo drives and I knew the issues. Looked like the cost of the drive itself was no more than $10k per drive so up to $25k for the entire twin drive job. That was for the mac daddy Ocean X drive. I ended up going with Merc's. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    X2 on Dream's comments. When I was shopping I looked at 342's with the composite volvo drives and I knew the issues. Looked like the cost of the drive itself was no more than $10k per drive so up to $25k for the entire twin drive job. That was for the mac daddy Ocean X drive. I ended up going with Merc's. 
    $9K for the drive plus $4100 for transom shied assembly plus $400 for the Y pipe plus labor to yank the engine and replace all of the parts plus rehub the props.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! And I thought my 1300 bill for my coupler was a problem.....I need to sell my boat quick!
  • Options
    Confirmed that the outdrive is a standard DP and not an XPD.  The mechanic inspection and compression test went well. Needs the serpentine belt replaced but no other issues. Sea trial, survey and bottom inspection this Friday. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Good luck, wish you the best.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MDboater said:
    MDboater said:

No, I did not mean to say or imply that all Volvo powered boats are priced lower.  What I was trying say was that most of the sterndrive powered boats that are at the lower end of the price range or low priced outliers have Volvo power.  Almost all of these lower prices are related to the XDP drives.  There are plenty of sellers that have their Volvo XDP powered boats price comparable with Bravo 3 boats.  I'm sure there are buyers that don't know about the problem and will buy these boats.  

I completely agree that the problem is confined to the XDP drive.  The OceanX drives get terrific reviews.   Given the Bravo 3 problems with bearing carrier, swivel shaft, and water pickup line corrosion there are good arguments that the OceanX is a superior drive. 

ok sorry my bad :)
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I have the same boat(except I am Merc).  No arch on mine and besides the look, the only downside that I have found is lighting from above.  I wish I had the lights facing down to the cockpit for night hours.  Love the boat.

Show some pics!   
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    If the surveys and sea trial pass, I will gladly post pictures,Trying not to get excited just yet! 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife (good handle BTW) I know what's it's like to await boat information. Minutes seem like, well YEARS!!!! Good luck, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    When we bought our 342 we had closed and went to clean the boat.  Then the broker come and told us we had to leave.  Turns out he did not have the title at closing, the seller was sick (triple by-pass) and the family (adult children) didn't want him to sell and told the marina they didn't want anybody on "their" boat.  Took a week (which felt like years) to get things nailed down.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX