Options

Generator Issue

Happy Memorial Day! Out on the boat this afternoon and kicked on the generator and it rand great for about 30 minutes and then coughed and stopped running. Tried to restart with no luck. When I got back to the dock I lifted the hatch and noticed the filter was empty so I primed the bulb and she fired righr up only to drain the filter and die again...repeated the process with same results two more times. Does this mean I need to replace the fuel filter or is something else amiss?

More troubleshooting tomorrow.

Best!

Kurt

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This the Kohler generator? If so, check the connection for the electric fuel pump.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    See if it will run off a gas can, if it does the genny is good, issue is with your fuel supply.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Take the filter out and see if it will run. If it runs change the filter with a new one. Good luck and keep us poster....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this same issue on/off for almost 3 years.  Service calls (warranty)..always had it 'fixed' right until they walked off the dock.  I pulled the fuel filter and watched it drain back to the tank, losing it's prime and had an 'what did I do know' moment.  Would not reprime..found out it had an electric fuel pump (whew)..pulled the pig tail connection..plugged it back in, hit the start switch and whala!  It pulled fuel..then it ran out of gas and stalled.  The pig talk connection was poorly made and barely made contact at one side, even showed signs or arcing.  I put in a splice and hard wired it.  Solved that problem.  This was on a 2003 5e generator.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Thanks guys...ran out of time and couldn't isolate the fuel issue one way or the other. Will take another crack at it next weekend.

Best!