Options

Opinions

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
So in the beginning of September I started hearing a very faint "knock" coming from the drive shaft/transom area. I pulled back the use of the boat the rest of the season and made very short trips and noticed it got worse which was expected. Regardless, I took the boat to the repair shop to have the drive pulled for the yearly outdrive service. They found the gimbal bearings and U joints were in bad shape (which I expected). I told him to go ahead and do the job. He then called me back a day later to tell me that after they made the repairs there is still an issue with the u Joints getting "caught up" (how he described it) and the yoke assembly needs to be replaced as well. I told him to go ahead. 

My question to is he quoted me $795 for gimbal bearing, u joints, yoke and also the drive service (inspection and drive fluid change). The drive service usually is $150 every fall. Does this sound like a fair price to you guys? Just curious as to what people are paying for similar services. Thanks guys
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that also include bellows and alignment while he has the drive off? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Bellows are not included as they were done a couple years ago and I would assume alignment is included as its part of the job?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jme097, sounds like a fair price. Didn't @Ras just do the about same thing for a cost of $1300 cannot remember what all he replaced. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 I think I remember he has to replace the coupler but I could mistaken. thought overall is sounded like a fair price but I just wanted to see what you guys thought as well
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea I was just quoted $1200 per B3 drive to do the entire transom kit (intake hose, gimbal bearing, all bellows and shift cable) along with alignment, engine room intake hose and lube change. So your quote sounds fair. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Jme
    who is doing the repair 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was a coupler only for 1300
  • Options
    @zaverin1 Pro Marine in Port Huron. I have taken my boats there for the past couple years. I find them to be honest and very competitive. Man and a wife run it. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    That's a good deal. I had my yoke replaced this spring. He is opening up the drive at that point and replacing seals as well.  I think the parts alone were around 400 for the upper and lower yoke.  Did you have drive oil in your bellows?  That's how I knew I had issues. Once opened up there was a definite wear groove on the yoke which ultimately caused the seal failure. The teeth on all visible gears looked perfect. I never had knocking though.  Maybe yours is very worn.  Check teeth and if there's much discoloration on the bearing pack from heat while you're in there. 
  • Options
    Definitely no oil in the bellows. He said the seals were all good and the drive lube looked good as well. Mechanic said that one u joint was recently replaced and he thinks that they weren't too careful when replacing and he thinks that is what damaged the yoke.