Options

Utilizing shore power with a boat that isn't wired for it

Chris79Chris79 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
So for the 2017 summer season I'm switching marinas and will have a slip with power and water.  I have a '97 Festiva 212 which isn't set-up to use shore power.  I know I'll be using the electric to run a portable thru-hatch A/C unit.  I also thought about hiding a power strip somewhere and just using a heavy extension cord while at the pier to run anything 110.

Is there any other way I can utilize this "free" power?  Anyone done anything creative?

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

@Chris79, there are a variety of shore power cords available to let you run GROUNDED and properly polarized power to your boat. As I'm sure you know water and high amperages are a recipe for disaster if not handled properly. ....correction - I "LIKE" the carry on AC!

Dockside satellite TV with a carry to the dock satellite dish? Cappuccino machine?

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    @Michael T So you're not a fan of the whole carry on A/C??
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I used a carry on A/C on my Carver years ago. Worked very well. Fit right into the hatch and put the "hood" over it.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Chris79, nooooo I meant to say I LIKE the carry-on AC....MY previous response was not clearly stated! :-)
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Michael T   Good!  You had me worried!  The A/C will make it a lot easier to spend Friday and/or Saturday nights at the boat.  I'll be lucky enough to have a pier at a marina with a really popular bar / restaurant next year that has live music all weekend.  Now if the cuddy on my little 212 was about 3" longer, my 6'2" frame would be really happy!

Thinking about buying a small TV (the smallest I can find) and either a Blue Ray player or HD antenna.  Just need to figure out how to make it all workable in my little cuddy.  
  • Options

I have seen several guys bring a satellite dish from home mounted on a base and put it on the dock - just plug into the TV - dock has to be steady for this - then just grab a signal and BAM you're the MAN! OR load-up your PVR and you're good to go OR stream from your phone tablet to a TV/Monitor. Soooo many possibilities! Instant crowd on game day!

Dock Rules - you watch you bring some beer and snacks. That should keep you and the Admiral supplied.