Options

and why did i do that

Finally, the water system is running again on the 265 (1995)
after rebuilding the main water pump and then replacing the main water pump, btw dont bother rebuilding them, Yes shurflo sells the replacement rubbers, but they dont sell the replacement motors alone. You will rebuild the pump only to find a week later the motor is full of corrosion and then you will have to replace the whole assembly. Not worth it, just replace the whole dang thing.
Then replacing the shower pump, make sure you put the filter on the shower side, other wise you will pull the pump out to clean the rubber parts of sand, (three times, Im a little slow somedays)
Thennnnnnn fixing the hot water hoses, NEVER STAND ON THEM, they will pop off the water heater. Dont reuse them if you do, they kink and the kink is now a weak spot in the tubing. When you have a weak spot, it leaks all over the electic connection for the water heater. It makes a funny sound when the water was boiling off because of the corrosion in the connections caused by the leak (all clean and shiny now).
oh, if you are ever reviving a water heater, after all the connections are made and you turn on the water pump. If the bilge is filling up with water and you have no water pressure at the faucet, you forgot to shut the water heater drain.
Why did I do all this now at the end of the season, I have no clue. but its done and I now have HOT water and serious water pressure. In fact I think the 3gpm pump is a little too much. Oh well,.
Thanks for the rambling
One last tidbit, If you decide to take the boat out with less than a 1/4 tank of gas, make sure you go upstream to the next marina that sells gas, that way when you get to the marina and the gas pumps are turned off, you can drift back to your dock. 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    By the power vested in me by the State of Me, I hereby confer upon you the degree of MFS (Master of Freshwater Systems).  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May all your luck be better next year.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Amazing the amount of things you can learn in a weekend!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these things happen, as long as you learn from them.  That's why I replaced my whole AC unit and not tempt my luck (usually bad) by going the parts route!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My new air unit works great!
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    So far this is the only repair I had to do this season, If thats all I had to do, Im not going to complain
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

BD, couldn't have said it better.  To add to his comments, if you are doing it yourself, you are already saving money.  I have a leaky seawater pump right now.  I'm waiting till spring at this point (cause it's time to replace impeller on old one too, so new for both in spring instead of buying and leaving new impeller set all winter) and replace the entire thing.  On my last boat I had tried to take one apart that leaked and luckily before I went too far, I had a mechanic tell me he had never seen anyone get it back together without issues. 

I guess I'm going on and on, but my point is you'll still make out better replacing the entire part than paying someone else. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    There is a reason most marinas replace instead of rebuild many parts, they only want to do the labor once. Personally I do most of my work, and usually try to rebuild instead of replace, but this does not always work. I have been boating for around 25 years, and have always had much more time than money.
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I do dang near all my own work on houses and cars, the only things I dont do is roofs and exhaust. With that being said, these days its actually cheaper to buy the whole assembly than to bother with rebuilding it. Case is point, I just replaced the struts and springs on the wifes honda civic, For 210 american I purchased front and rear struts AND springs as an assembly. If I were to buy the struts alone and move the old springs over to them The struts alone would cost me 60 each. Where as buying the complete assembly cost 105 for both front and 105 for both rear (its 5am soI hope that makes sense)
    Im still having problems wrapping my head around the fact that parts are getting cheaper and easier. I used to rebuild alternators for the price of a new one today