Options

342 Radar Screen Removal From Helm Help?

aves137aves137 Member Posts: 26
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how to remove the Raymarine in-dash GPS screen from the helm of a 342? I did a search and haven't been able to find anything that discusses how to remove the screen itself and it does not appear that the screen uses a trim ring that covers screws for removal (though maybe I missed it?). The screen no longer turns on so I'm wondering if a ground or something else isn't loose or bad in there and I wanted to pull it to test some things and check it out. As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had an aftermarket GPS in place of the original Lowrance monochrome GPS.  Not sure how the original was installed.  When I was attaching the NMEA cable from the current GPS to the VHF I removed the cup holder near it as well as the gauge cluster to reach behind the GPS.  In my case, the aftermarket GPS that was in the dash when I bought the boat was held in place with a thick bead of silicone.  Truth be told, that's all that holds my current VHF in place.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:
    I had an aftermarket GPS in place of the original Lowrance monochrome GPS.  Not sure how the original was installed.  When I was attaching the NMEA cable from the current GPS to the VHF I removed the cup holder near it as well as the gauge cluster to reach behind the GPS.  In my case, the aftermarket GPS that was in the dash when I bought the boat was held in place with a thick bead of silicone.  Truth be told, that's all that holds my current VHF in place.
    I kind of figured I would need to pull the gauge or switches clusters (or both) to get to the wiring behind it. I don't see any silicone along the edges, which leads me to think it is help in place with some sort of fastener. I guess I'll go ahead and pop off the clusters and see what I can find back there. I really appreciate the response!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a C70? That is what I have on my 342
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    If it's a semi new system then it probably has insert that mounts to the dash
    then screen clicks into that
    some will have a bezel that goes around it. Remove that and unlock main unit.
    first way I mentioned you still have to get behind it to remove 
  • Options
    Is it a C70? That is what I have on my 342
    Yes, I believe it is. It is my parent's boat and I am just trying to help them fix some issues before they sell it.
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    If it's a semi new system then it probably has insert that mounts to the dash
    then screen clicks into that
    some will have a bezel that goes around it. Remove that and unlock main unit.
    first way I mentioned you still have to get behind it to remove 
    It is the system that was installed when they purchased the boat in 2004 (2003 model year boat). I thought this would utilize the bezel, but it did not appear that there was a bezel around the unit that could be removed.
  • Options
    Is it the C70 ? That is what my 342 has. 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes bezel dose come off small slot about an inch down on sides.installation Manuel can be down loaded off raymarine site.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Yes bezel dose come off small slot about an inch down on sides.installation Manuel can be down loaded off raymarine site.
    On my C70 there was no bezel that came off. Instead it was held in place with 4 screws that had round nuts covered in plastic that you could turn. I needed to remove the panel containing all of the switches to get my hand back there to remove the nuts, but it took only a few minutes. Once those were off, there was a rubber/foam seal that was sticky and with extremely light pressure from a flat blade screwdriver, she popped right off. Now on to the bigger issue of why the screen isn't turning on despite there being power at the cable! As always, appreciate everyone's help!
  • Options
    Hi Aves - Sorry I asked the same question on the C70 twice. iPhone issues since I went to iOS 10. Anyway my C70's screen had issues last month. It would not go blank, it would have crazy lines all over it, so I dont know if its the same issue but when I googled C70 screen issues I found out that they all end up with screen issues. Thats the bad news. The good news is that its a simple fix. For now, I just push the screen in at the bottom (literally push my fingers on the bottom of the screen and push in) and it all is well again for a while. There is something out there on line on taking the bezel off and then actually pulling the screen out. The common issue is that the connection between the screen and the unit gets loose and needs to be pushed back together. Hope this helps! Here is a thread on this:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/raymarine-c70-plotter-screen-issues-96458.html

• Options
    Hi Aves - Sorry I asked the same question on the C70 twice. iPhone issues since I went to iOS 10. Anyway my C70's screen had issues last month. It would not go blank, it would have crazy lines all over it, so I dont know if its the same issue but when I googled C70 screen issues I found out that they all end up with screen issues. Thats the bad news. The good news is that its a simple fix. For now, I just push the screen in at the bottom (literally push my fingers on the bottom of the screen and push in) and it all is well again for a while. There is something out there on line on taking the bezel off and then actually pulling the screen out. The common issue is that the connection between the screen and the unit gets loose and needs to be pushed back together. Hope this helps! Here is a thread on this:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/raymarine-c70-plotter-screen-issues-96458.html
    Really appreciate the help with that! My parents are looking to sell the boat anyways so not having working radar isn't a huge deal in my opinion. Either way, I don't think my parents want to put the money into fixing the issue since it's such an outdated system.
  • Options
    Yea I understand. I just saw your ad, nice looking boat at a great price even for Florida. Couple of things. First that is not a Raymarine C70. Not sure what model it is but my dock mates have the same and their screen does not work and they are replacing it. Second my last Rinker was a 2001 310 and had some similar cracking and chipping on the arch. I went to Home Depot with a small chip and had them match the color in the best quality quart of Behr exterior paint they had. Really helped. Didn't mask it completely but it made a huge difference. My wife was not happy about the chipping and was satisfied after I touched up. May be worth it for you to try for the $25 or whatever. Good luck!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just removed mine. There are 3 to 4 round thumb screws. I also have a source for trade in if anyone is interested
  • Options
    Yea I understand. I just saw your ad, nice looking boat at a great price even for Florida. Couple of things. First that is not a Raymarine C70. Not sure what model it is but my dock mates have the same and their screen does not work and they are replacing it. Second my last Rinker was a 2001 310 and had some similar cracking and chipping on the arch. I went to Home Depot with a small chip and had them match the color in the best quality quart of Behr exterior paint they had. Really helped. Didn't mask it completely but it made a huge difference. My wife was not happy about the chipping and was satisfied after I touched up. May be worth it for you to try for the $25 or whatever. Good luck!
    You are correct that it's not a C70 - it's actually a RL70C. As to the radar arch, I have chatted with the reps from Rinker and our local Rinker dealer and I'm told this is an extremely common issue with these boats. Great tip on the paint though! I may go grab some and give it a try.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The radar arch is aluminum with gelcoat.