Options

Spreader Beam

KeepNitReelKeepNitReel Member Posts: 4
Our Family owns a Fiesta Vee 290 - there are stress cracks showing up on the base of the spreader beam, would this be a minor repair or is something bigger about to surface?
Post edited by Babyboomer on

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few thoughts:
    1. It might just be spider cracks in the gel coat
    2. Water can get in the arch and freeze, causing cracks.  This was a topic on the old RBO
    3. Make sure it is fastened tight and not loose.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    What is a spreader beam??

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    I'll assume he meant the arch.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    KeepNitReelKeepNitReel Member Posts: 4
    Yes, the arch. I just drained the spreader beam (Arch) this evening must have been approximately 1 litre of water. Sure enough I believe the cracks are from freezing, so I left two drain holes on either end covered with a knock out filler to pull out when winterizing. thanks for the input.
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Wow.  Never thought it could hold water.  "Honey, where is my list???"  Gotta check that.  I thought it would have been fairly open on the bottom with all the wiring that goes through it.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    They hold water towards the lower angle.  I basically have a weep hole at the aft corner of the arch support now by removing the caulk.  The resealed all the wire holes on the arch and the windshield to the arch area.  Where the window meets the arch at the bottom corner, water gets in from how it was caulked at the factory.

PC BYC, Holland, MI