Options

End of Season Wheel & Wax

wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
For those of us here on Lake St. Clair, Michigan the boating season is coming to an end. Each fall before I put my boat in storage I wheel and wax the hull and deck. The white deck is easy. The black hull, well that's a lot more work. This year I decided to try something different. After my usual 3 step process of removing oxidation with course compound, fine compound and polish, I applied a product called Rejex. Some of my friends use it on their cars and are very happy with it so I thought I'd try it. Rejex is a polymer that is supposed to adhere to paint and is reportedly tougher than wax. It applies and wipes off easily. The instructions for Rejex say to apply it when the surface is cool and avoid direct sunlight (not a problem for me since my boat is already in a storage building out of the sun). The instructions also say that Rejex has to cure for 8-12 hours after it is wiped off before the surface gets wet (also not a problem since my boat is inside for the winter). I'll see how long it lasts next summer, but for now she looks good.

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's slick ! good lookin 320
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks Randy. I dread the work every fall but always like how she looks when I'm done. My previous boat was a Rinker 280 with a white hull. That was much easier to keep "shine up".
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

@wm61356. Beautiful looking boat. I know the black gel is a lot of work. I had all black hulls on my 2011 226XL, 2013 EC 310 and 2014 EC 360 and I know if I ever bough another Rinker new (like if they made a 45 footer ...just dreaming!) it would have a black hull too. IMO that remarkable look is worth the work!

BTW that storage building looks a lot like the one that @bry1429 has his all black EC 360 stored?

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i started using rejex this year as well on my black hull 250. i have applied twice this year and i'll do it one more time before storage which is actually this week.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Looks great love the inside storage. Wish I had it around here......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

Good to hear from you MT. I'm IN Harrison Township, Michigan, not sure where @bry1429 keeps his boat during the winter. I don't recall seeing a black 360 last year, or so far this year.

Duane, how did the Rejex hold up for you? Is it better than wax in your opinion?

Raybo3, I started wintering inside heated 3 years ago and I really like it. It gives me all winter to do maintenance and upgrades. My admiral calls it my "pouting Room" LOL.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

Always a great idea to wax before you put away for the winter.  I buffed mine for 6 hours this past Saturday and put my full cover on yesterday.  It's nice to know she is clean and ready to go in the spring!

Great looking boat!  The dark hull is beautiful, but, I don't have the patience or time to maintain one myself.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard of people using Rain-X on the hull after polishing/buffing. Imagine the polymer deal is similar to the Rejex.

Kinda strange - but it might work....
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    wm61356 said:

Good to hear from you MT. I'm IN Harrison Township, Michigan, not sure where @bry1429 keeps his boat during the winter. I don't recall seeing a black 360 last year, or so far this year.

Duane, how did the Rejex hold up for you? Is it better than wax in your opinion?

Raybo3, I started wintering inside heated 3 years ago and I really like it. It gives me all winter to do maintenance and upgrades. My admiral calls it my "pouting Room" LOL.

@wm61356, I moor in Hammond Indiana in the summer months. In the spring and fall I moor in St Joseph Mich, I store indoor heated in St Joseph Mich. Your black gel looks SWEET! keep us updated on the pros-n-cons of the ReJeX. Would be nice if a one step one coat one time a year would actually do the job of keeping it looking like a new dime. Indoor heated storage got me looking for a side job but it's worth every penny for me. I was going outdoor with a custom storage cover but that never panned out. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoyong the cooler weather to get ours shinned up for the next boating seanson....which started yesterday! This is some of the best boating, cooler temps but the water is still warm....nice clear weather! Planning a Thanks Giving weekend trip ....plus Christmas parade somewhere....the fun lights are expensive!
  • Options
    thebistrothebistro Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @wm61356 - following this thread. Interested in seeing how the Rejux. First time with a colored hull (black) really want to stay on top of it. 
    2017 EX 320  MacRay Harbor - Harrison Twp, MI
  • Options

thebistro, I will let you know how it works out next summer. I plan to put another coat or 2 of Rejex on over the winter. You are wise to keep up the maintenance on your new black hull. The previous owner of my boat let the black oxidize and now it is a battle for me to keep it looking nice every year.