Options

Exhaust Manifold

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Engine Discussions
So I got my boat winterized and cleaned out over the last few days. One thing that I noticed was there was a rust stain on one of the weep holes on the exhaust manifold. I know it wasn't there last season, or this past spring. I did a quick search online for the parts and the prices range from $293 to $430 for the OEM Merc manifold. I am wondering if I can do this myself or should I let my mechanic do it in the early spring. I know that I don't want to be down for part of the summer if it is going bad. One thing is that it was not weeping any water when I did the winterization.
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your fwc cooled a little more complex.If not its very easy 4 bolts for riser and hose clamps,break it loose and check your flaps.four bolts for manifold.need new gaskets.on replacement get two pieces of threaded rod with same thead.It helps to hold it place to start bolts because it is heavy.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    The engine is not a Horizon engine. That should make the change easier.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Even with horizons it's a piece of cake. Just awkward because those manifolds are real heavy. The threaded rod trick is great advice. Be sure to use merc gaskets at the least. The aftermarket ones are junk Imo. Get a good torque wrench as well. And if the manifold bolts are rusted soak them in PB blaster for at least a day. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I replaced mine on my 350 no problem, did what @reneechris14 stated.  I used Merc.  Gotta love the engine room on a single engine boat.  

If a motor is Horizon that means its FWC? Any other difference? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine is a horizon and there was a thread the other day with the difference but I will be danged if I remember it ! And I need to do mine as well...
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg I would like to get my manifold and risers checked out here in Pittsburgh due to my recent purchase of a Captiva 192 with a v6.  Could you share the name of the mechanic you used to service yours? Thanks.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    A bit of advice,  if even if you get OEM merc manifolds take a straight edge to all the mating surfaces.   If they are untrue you need to use a ba$**** file (large flat) to true up smaller surface.  

If you have access to some nice smooth concrete blocks these also make great tools to true up larger surfaces, even aluminum cylinder heads.  The block just has to be big enough for the entire part to fit on it. 

Use plenty of water and apply even pressure.  Let the parts weight apply the pressure.  Paint the surface and then slide it.  If take the paint of evenly she's true.  If not slide it back and forth until true repeating process.  

Some pretty good YouTube videos showing this old timer trick.  

There are a few aftermarket manifolds that use the same company to cast their manifolds as Merc,  do your research before buying aftermarket. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    rkinross said:
    @Cableguy Greg I would like to get my manifold and risers checked out here in Pittsburgh due to my recent purchase of a Captiva 192 with a v6.  Could you share the name of the mechanic you used to service yours? Thanks.
    Rick Vrcic is who I used for years. He was the mechanic at Allegheny Marina when it was the Rinker dealer. I believe he is still at Cheswick Marina. If not, I can get you his number. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg Thanks for your reply.  On prior posts you recommended Davidson trailer repair shop and they fixed up my brakes and did a trailer inspection.  It was a great referal that saved me a lot of time.  The brakes were not working and they fixed them right up.  In fact they worked so good I could not back up my trailer up my driveway.  I had to purchase 'back up buddy' that worked great.  I would recommend this device to anyone that has a Rinker trailer with an Atwood hitch.  That little knob that is supposed to do the lock out does not work.  Thank you.       
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has no lock up...you should have a cylinder that does that for you!  I fought with my brakes a long time- about time to have issues again I'm sure..
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think salt water trailer boating comes without issues.   
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg - Thanks for the referral to Rick Vrcic.  He gave my manifolds and risers a clean bill of health.  He also inspected other things like the impeller, lower unit,  and battery connections.  I purchased the boat up in Michigan and only had an in the water sea trial so I was a little worried about the manifolds because I did not realize they are an item that requires replacement.   Thanks!   
  • Options
    rkinross said:
    @Cableguy Greg - Thanks for the referral to Rick Vrcic.  He gave my manifolds and risers a clean bill of health.  He also inspected other things like the impeller, lower unit,  and battery connections.  I purchased the boat up in Michigan and only had an in the water sea trial so I was a little worried about the manifolds because I did not realize they are an item that requires replacement.   Thanks!   
    Did you tell him that I sent you? He’s a great guy. I miss having him work on my boat. He taught me a lot about our boats. I still have a scar on my left index finger from working on his boat. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg  Yes I mentioned you and the Rinker Forum as being a great resource for boat owners.  He immediately recognized your name spoke well of you.