Options

Engine hatch opening with emergency posts on EC 360

Has anyone had any experience with opening and closing the engine compartment hatch once batteries have been disconnected?  We tried using the emergency hatch contacts in the switch panel.  Put 12 volts across connectors and the hatch opens, but when we reversed polarity the hatch motor did not close.  I would think it would work that way, but it didn't.   Do any of you have insight to how those posts work?  

Best Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016 Answer ✓
    I had a 2014 EC 360. I had to try several times once. I think ram actuator must take a fair bit of amps so you have to have a really good connection on the posts...... P.S. and a good battery - had to go get another shop battery once as the first one didn't have enough juice!

Answers

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if the motor that lifts the hatch goes bad? how do you open it??
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Go in thru the table holder, pull the pin and lift.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    I use the posts on my 270 by the battery switch every year after I take out batteries for winter. The key you need a fully charged battery. I tried to use a jump box once and it did not work. You need jumper cables and fully charged battery 
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:

Good luck!  That hatch is horrendously heavy!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,604 mod
    NavyCTRC said:
    J3ff said:

Good luck!  That hatch is horrendously heavy!!

Yep, you should try it on a 400!  I pulled my shoulder with mine.  I did figure out a better way using leverage and some lines.  4 people (2 in front and 2 on swim platform pulling back) and an additional person to tie off the line holding it up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just use a backhoe :) 

I'm just glad there is actually a way to do it... 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    My 2005 360 only goes up when using the 12v posts by the battery switches as far as I can ascertain. So every winter I disconnect the lift ram, affix two ropes, and use some leg and back muscles. I can't believe how heavy that mother is. It's pretty tricky as a one man job. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By reversing the polarity it should go back down using the posts. Just flip the black and red. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,604 mod
    MarkB said:
    By reversing the polarity it should go back down using the posts. Just flip the black and red. 

Not all models have that capability.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if he tried though. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I did. No go. 
  • Options
    ChuckvecChuckvec Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have not heard back from my mechanic, but they went in and got out after the batteries were disconnected.  So we shall see.

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    There is a much easier method I just discovered recently. Use a 110 pig tail on the shore power and turn on the battery charger. Then it works!  Easy peasy. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    luvinlife said:
    There is a much easier method I just discovered recently. Use a 110 pig tail on the shore power and turn on the battery charger. Then it works!  Easy peasy. 
    That’s good to know!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,641 mod
    Charger on -- and turn on the battery switches.  
  • Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I had the same problem.  I solved it by connecting a portable start battery to the 12v outlet on my electrical panel.  I used two 12v male plugs with a 10 amp fuse connected with about 2 feet of wire.  I plug one of the 12v male connectors into the portable start battery and the other end into the 12v outlet on the electrical panel and then use the helm hatch switch to open and close the hatch.  Works fine so far and I also have use of cabin lights if needed.  This will work if your batteries are dead or if you have disconnected them for the winter.  Good luck.