Rafting Etiquette/Private moorings

halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
In anticipation of extending out my boating boundaries next season I thought I would throw this out to the group. Having one of the smaller day boats out there, I have only sailed around my Bay, find some coves,drop anchor and chill for a few hours. There are always unused mooring balls where I go and often wondered it it was ok just to tie up to them for a bit instead of always getting the anchor out. I would never leave the boat unattended but I did it once this summer and it felt awkward the whole time there(not relaxed at all).  Do owners of these moorings expect this to happen on a regular basis?  Moorings are place all over the Bay in the good spots and not always in use.

Secondly, there are some islands/towns I want to get to next season that are quite popular in Mahone Bay (Big Tancook and Chester). I looked on google earth and noticed most boats were doubled up on the Government wharf. Being a popular place to go for an afternoon chances of finding a spot to tie up could be slim. Is it ok to just tie up next to someone else?  Or if I had a spot and came back to my boat should I be ticked that someone has tied up to me and nowhere in sight? 

I feel in both cases I am interfering with someone elses experience so I limit myself to where I go. Don't want to have boating rage out there to ruin a day on the water. Would appreciate feedback of what to do/not to do for next season.

Brian

Comments

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Hats off to you Brian for being so thoughtful. Many people are less considerate. I am sure someone with knowledge in your area will chime in. I have only tied off to mooring balls in the Florida Keys that I knew were public/first come-first served in nature. Good luck.  -Paul
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think mooring buoys are much safer than anchors. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I depends on the person who owns the mooring. I have seen people that own the mooring say "That's our mooring could you please move so we can use it" and I have seen people go ballistic when they see someone on their mooring. It's a crap shoot. I would never ever just tie up to someone's boat without their permission. Just on  liability  alone. I would not like it if someone did that to me.......... Just say'n...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my area you need to ask permission to tie to another boat. There are pros and cons to it. A pro is you get to meet new people and a possibly a new group of boating friends. A con is that they say no. I have been to areas that have a government run sea wall and a dockmaster working the wall. In those cases, the dockmaster will require you, as part of docking there, raft others off to your boat, or allow you to raft off to another boat. Just pulling up and rafting off is usually a big no no.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure those are private moorings, in my area lot of cities installed moorings for public use.
    Paul
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    pretty sure they are but I will check out over the winter. I was under the impression they were placed in all the sweetspots around the Bay paid for privately with permission by the Coast Guard. Its worth a call or email.  Based on response so far my gut reaction of leave them alone unless permission is granted stands.  It would my luck to be on a private mooring and have the owner coming by to yet another guy on his ball and loose it. 
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I work under the premise of "if it's not mine and it's not obviously abandoned or for public use, then I don't touch it".  Given that, I would not tie up to an unattended mooring and I wouldn't dream of tying up to someone's boat without getting their approval first.  

My understanding of anchoring etiquette/rules is that it's first come first serve and, when anchoring, you must provide for enough room between your boat and the existing boats so that the existing boats can swivel on their anchor rode in all directions without hitting your boat.  

Given that, I would not hesitate to anchor as close as I want to an unattended mooring.  If the mooring owner arrived I don't believe that I would be under any obligation to move.  Other's thoughts?  Is it the understanding that a mooring holds your anchoring spot?  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    MD, I'd agree with all you said except the mooring.  At least for the mooring that are provided say by the city (ie, Annapolis).  Most mooring fields have no anchoring on the charts.  But, private moorings may be a bit different.  You could definitely anchor next to it and probably get lucky enough no one would use it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express