Options

290 FV no forward or reverse

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose...but that's like saying if one motor blew, replace the other one as it might go too- I'm a novice here, all about preventive maintenance but that seems a little excessive considering the cost. I would not think there is any savings doing two at a time as it is just simple math of labor and parts on this repair. Might be a good time to clean that bilige out though!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Cost to replace to couplers and engine alignment is way under what two engInes would run.
    if one went maybe it's because boat wasn't maintenance properly and Other is on way out or not would suck to find out in middle of summer 
  • Options
    I was being a little sarcastic to make a point. It's a pretty quick cheap repair in the boating world and with two motors, I would not of don it until needed was my point.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Well, I'm thinking of doing a two-for-one this winter as well.  Mine is a transom seal on my stbd engine leaking.  I'll probably just get both sides done and be done with it.  Sometimes it's not just the fact of savings doing both, but saving time if the issue arises right in the middle of boating season!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why has everyones transom seal broken on the same side??????????????????
  • Options
    Either torque or weight distribution related
    maybe dumb luck 
  • Options
    Or the fiberglass workers?
  • Options
    jcc2823jcc2823 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    They said the other one was pretty worn and could go out at any time so i'd rather just get it over with than have to take boat out again and again and again.... ugh.  they are also fixing a ?drive seal?- said it was leaking, and getting rid of any rust and repainting those areas on engines.  
  • Options
    they are cleaning out bilge too.  lol it's costing about $2200 per motor so it's not exactly cheap.  also replacing zincs on outdrive.  i hope this is the last of it for at least a year.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yeah, I'm gonna inspect everything while engines are out, especially the couplers and oil pans.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    My guy here charges 1200 per engine that do couplers
    you clean the bilge while it's out lol
  • Options
    mine was 1300 on a 270...
  • Options
    So I am trying to figure out how these fail and I assume the rubber spins loose inside the metal housing much like a prop hub?
  • Options
    Correct 
    if you have bad alignment it causes runout and extra wear on that coupler. 
    Sometimes it's oil leaks or water intrusion that makes them go
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is what a new one looks like.
    Image result for Mercruiser coupler Image result for Mercruiser couplerand a bad oneImage result for Mercruiser coupler
    Boat Name : 

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    @Alswagg so how do you grease it then? I could barely see the shaft going into the coupler from the engine bay...and also like a prop hub if you strike something under water will that also kill it?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inside the engine room I have 2 Zerk fittings just behind the engine, just behind the coupler. Same Zerk fitting that is on the outside of the bravo 3. These 2 Zerk fittings grease the coupler. It is a pain to get your hand and grease gun down in there and you need to hand crank the engine or
    give the starter a quick on/off to spin it and get to both zerks. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
  • Options
    I know I hit something, probably a fallen tree when I was to close to the bank...had a prop shaft seal go but I'd figure that unrelated. I ran the boat once since the repair of the coupler and everything seemed to be cool- the hit was several months ago. I am guessing alignment was my problem. Probably had never been checked but the boat (05) had 100 hours on it when purchased so I did not worry about it....live and learn!
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    rasbury said:
    I know I hit something, probably a fallen tree when I was to close to the bank...had a prop shaft seal go but I'd figure that unrelated. I ran the boat once since the repair of the coupler and everything seemed to be cool- the hit was several months ago. I am guessing alignment was my problem. Probably had never been checked but the boat (05) had 100 hours on it when purchased so I did not worry about it....live and learn!
    If you claim the damage your insurance should cover all your repair cost, what do you think rasbury ?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    that is correct
    floating log or submerged would be covered 
    Post edited by zaverin1 on
  • Options
    wow, did not even think of that, think I can submit the bill after the fact? Hard to tell it hit anything...especially since I painted the out drive since....got me on this one I guess...
  • Options
    and there were several hours in between the strike and the failure.
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I hit a rock sticking up from 90 feet of water 2 years ago. I have never had a marine claim in 26 years of having my own boats. $2500 claim. I wished I had paid it out of pocket. My own insurance did not go up but I got penalized quite a bit by other companies when I got a quote for a 34' Rinker. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Not after repair is done 
  • Options
    yeah, I did not think so.....karma..it was 1300 bucks and I just never thought of it, not that 1300 bucks is not a lot of money in my world.
  • Options
    Just thought I should close out the cause on this thread. It was the coupler. Replaced it on both engines with new heavy duty ones. Cost about 3000. 
  • Options
    sounds like a good price and really an easy fix...at least it is not tearing into the out drive which would concern me......