Options

Batteries for a 1998 266 Fiesta

I just bought a 1998 266 Fiesta but the batteries were stolen while the boat was in storage. I am trying to determine what batteries to buy so I can winterize the boat and store it for the winter. The previous owner wasn't sure and neither was the boat yard. I also down loaded the manual which is very helpful but it doesn't list the battery size. The boat has the 5.7 merc cruiser and it has two battery boxes one for starting the engine and the other for boat power. 

Can someone tell me which batteries I need including the CCA and AH? I love the boat and can't wait to get it in the water next year. Thanks

Best Answer

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Welcome aboard!

I'd check the location where the batteries go.  If there are boxes or trays, measure to see how big a battery they can hold.  Off hand I'd say any marine grade group 27 starting battery would be enough to start the engine.  If there is space, group 31 would be better.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Answers

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Highest cca you can afford for the start, Highest number deep cycle battery you can afford for the house. 
    Both are 12 volt neg ground
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 270 FV and it came with two 27 batteries for the house and one to start. 

Ended up going with a gel battery for the starting and then swapped out the two house 27's for a 31.

Believe or not this is the BEST battery for the lowest price I could find (please someone show me something better at that price point!)..

At this price they are basically throw away batteries every two years.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nautilus-31-Deep-Cycle-Marine-Battery-31MDC/205309650

I swapped two of these 31's in, switched the battery boxes to accomodate them and have never thought about power again. 

So I'd get a decent Gel battery for your starter and one of those for the house... they have the highest reserve minutes I could find and again, the lowest price. 

• Options
    motsnrubmotsnrub Member Posts: 2
    Rinker recommended a group 24 with 1000 CCA for starting and a group 27 DC for the house batteries. Thanks for your thoughts.