Options

Anyone have a bilge pump installed that completely dries the bilge with a flip of a switch?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
I seem to have some kind of problem with water in the bilge.  It's a 270 2004 FV.. I've read a ton of threads about it... seems like a common problem with rainwater from the blower vent (I mean cmon, we haven't fixed this yet in 2016?) could be a fresh water leak problem, could be 10 other things.. The main problem is this water gathers in my bilge and it STINKS!! Like nasty eggs!  It's so bad that when the engine room heats up the smell goes up in the area that is under the garbage can and then comes out of where the door slides open/closed...and you can smell it when underway!! (but thankfully it doesn't go downstairs) I go down with a wet dry vac, pull it out and it's fine again for the weekend...

I will investigate this over the winter and search for where the water is coming from (haven't used the AC in a month), but at the same time I would like to find out if there's also a solution to get the bilge completely dry (or at least no puddles) with the flick of a switch. Don't care how much work it's going to take, does anyone have a solution they came up with that works great? :smile:
Post edited by J3ff on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Not with conventional bilge pumps.  The pump is never mounted at the absolute lowest point.  Also, as soon as the pump shuts off, the water in the outlet hose discharges back into the bilge.  I don't think I'd trust a 1-way valve in the hose -- too much risk of it clogging.  So you're stuck with the backflow. 

The only possibility I can think of is a shop-vac with a hose to the lowest part of the bilge.  But the shop-vac would have to be mounted outside the engine room.  It quickly turns into a Rube Goldberg machine.  
  • Options
    Interesting, I've read a few threads where there is a slight suggestion (but no pictures, videos or detailed talk) about how this might be paired with a nice flat pickup and it would work... https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18660-0121-Flexible-Impeller-380-GPH/dp/B000O8FBDE

anyone? :) 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Have a look at 

Enough of vacuming water in the bige  in the search box of the forum

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you scrubbed/bleached the bilge? I get rainwater from blower intakes but the water doesn't have much of a smell to it. The previous owner told me that he would scrub out the bilge a few times a year and I kept up with that. Maybe there is just a lot of scum on the floor and walls of the bilge that stinks when it gets wet and would not stink with a good cleaning? More than just removing the water I mean cleaning the fiberglass. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The back wash of the Blige helps to keep the pickup clean too.I mean any little crumbs will mess with impeller.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Have you scrubbed/bleached the bilge? I get rainwater from blower intakes but the water doesn't have much of a smell to it. The previous owner told me that he would scrub out the bilge a few times a year and I kept up with that. Maybe there is just a lot of scum on the floor and walls of the bilge that stinks when it gets wet and would not stink with a good cleaning? More than just removing the water I mean cleaning the fiberglass. 
    1st thing I'm doing over the winter.

I wanted to do this while the motor was being replaced, but the owner of the shop wouldn't let me in the boat while things were underway.  I then paid them a couple hundred bucks to "clean the bilge" which I was hoping would mean exactly what you said, scrubbing with soap/hotwater/chemicals and completely getting the bilge spotless.  They charged me but whatever they did didn't alleviate this problem.  I don't really have any way to prove one way or another if they did a good job or not. At the time it was most important to get the thing running again. 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Have a look at 

Enough of vacuming water in the bige  in the search box of the forum

That's what I'm looking for. What kind of pump is that? Where'd you get the screening? 
  • Options
    I think I'll make something like Frenchship did,maybe a toggle in the engine bay.
  • Options
    The pump was bought on Amazon.ca but should be available on Amazon.com
    the SS screen you can buy from Home Depot.com but I bought mine at Dollar King in Canada (1.00$)and cut the bottom out to make it fit the hose.
    Here is the link
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00OLKTD0S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

4-12 in Mesh Kitchen Sink Strainer in Stainless-Steel
     (12) | Model # 88822 
    4-1/2 in. Mesh Kitchen Sink Strainer in Stainless-S

hope this help
  • Options
    Nice, that's perfect. I actually have one of those tiny pumps that I was planning to do this with on my old boat but never actually needed to do it.. Funny how that boat also had water in the bottom of it at all times, but the water never smelled like this stinker of a bilge does.. so you've got a 1 way check valve in there too? thanks!
  • Options
  • Options
    Where did you place the pump intake? 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smells like you have a water leak in the hot water heater or poo tank
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    The none return valve is in the discharged hose, it comes from a priming pump for a outboard gas tank. The intake hose is where the drain plug is wich is the lowest point in the engines bay
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

I used my raw water wash out pump that was factory installed and intended to use the raw water (bay water) to wash out the cockpit (not going to happen).  So, I removed the hose from the seacock and put a new one on that went to the drain plug area.  Now, with a flip of the switch, I completely drain the bilge.  Works really well and fortunately everything was already there. 

I am very particular about the bilge and clean it often with purple power.  But yet, if you leave the water in there, it will really stink as you mentioned.  Has nothing to do with leaks, it's just rain water getting in and then heating up as you mentioned and getting nasty.  The simple pump you are looking at should work fine. Please take pics of the install so others may learn.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same exact problem....keep in mind also the A/C discharges into the bilge as well which I was shocked how much water that can be. Obviously more as issue here in Fl I suppose with our humidity in the summer...in the winter months I don't recall it being such an issue. Right now, with my camper enclosure up you for sure crab your nose! I have tried the cleaner, others on here said not to bleach so I'm a little lost as to how to solve as well and will see this install!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, I seem to be pulling 5 or so gallons of water out each week... I've also put two gallons of cleaner through it and even some bleach, no effect, same nasty smell after a few days of water down there. 

Yesterday I left the bilge completely dry, 5 gallons out... can't go down to the boat today, it's going to rain tomorrow, will check it out on Friday. 

I think for now I'm going to leave it as is and just use the shop vac since the boat comes out of the water on the 27th, but over the winter I will def be trying to replicate what we've got here. Will take pictures and document it. 
  • Options
    Anyone have any pictures of their 270 with the engine out? Or a diagram of what the floor looks like in there? 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The air conditioner is also a source of water in the bilge. I know that mine drains there and was the source of most of the water.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    yeah, haven't had that thing running in a month !
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    you see any swirls in the water J3ff?

• Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    My 310 (2013) had water in the front bilge from no hose clamp on A/C pump hose, put 2 clamps on and dry as a bone. 310 has an aft  bilge pump that will turn on at 3 inches of water.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gtyee, it had clamps on it when that guy from port credit bought it!.....rookies!
  • Options
    My 2002 a/c drained in to the shower bilge box.and I tied a sting to the float so I could drain fully after the weekend,and then close seacocks.
  • Options
    Took a look down there today after sucking it dry the other day... we did have a bunch of rain and it looks like it's back at the 6 or so gallons mark.  

Here's the thing... every boat I've owned has always had water in the bilge, all season... why does the rinker water in the bilge stink so much?!? None of the other boats (3 or 4) have ever smelled like this. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't be a 'Rinker' thing. If it smells then something is growing in it: bacteria, mold or it is not 'just' water. Time for a scrubbing with a disenfectant like lysol, pinesol, etc. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea it's something in the bilge, not the brand of boat. Stinky bacteria. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put some powdered or liquid soap in there to help clean the bilge while underway. You could even throw a bag of ice to help "scrub" the bilge.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    remeber what I said J3FF. Make sure you dont have a fuel leak. My was very similar to that prior to the tank replacement. Check for swirls in the water. 
  • Options
    Def no swirls in the water...  had some water down there today but it didn't smell. Weird.