Options

Front AC condensate drain

@Alswagg ... Quick question for you.  I kept getting water running into my bilge where my rear AC unit is. After following the flow, I found the source.  There is a bilge under the front AC condensate pan.  I was completely filled with stale smelly water. I wet-vac'ed the water out (18 gallons) and poked around a little in there.  Seems the water was coming from the condensate of the front AC unit. It was dripping into the pan, overflowing the pan, running into that bilge, and then when the boat moved, it was working its way all the way to the rear berth AC bilge, where it was picked up by the pump and discharged.

The hose from the bottom of the condensate pan, led to a scupper down by the waterline, port side near the bow.  However, this hose appeared to be too long and arched "above" the top of the condensate pan.  The water could not run "uphill" through the hose, so it spilled over the pan into that front bilge.  I want to cut that hose and re-route it downward to the scupper so the water flows out.  Is there a reason why this hose was like this from the factory, or is it an oversight at the time of production.  And is there anything (other than making sure the scupper is facing aft) I should know before I cut that hose.

Thanks

Mike

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, you should email him. allansmobilemarine@msn.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Wow, 18 gallons seems like a lot of water.  My front condensate goes directly down and out the front scupper, no hill in the line.  Unfortunately the hose in the drain pans do not allow all the water to drain out either.  Allowing the pan to always be wet and rust.  (newer models are designed much better)  I may change mine a bit this winter so more water drains out.  Maybe it'll help with the rusting but I also get some water over the pan when I go for a ride, which then makes a mess in the bilge with the rusty water.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Can you raise the unit or add a shower sump pump?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has to be an oversight, definitely should drain from pan downward and out boat. My in-laws 74' trojan has an after market AC unit that is very close to the water line so it intentionally drips from the pan down in to an empty battery box. In the battery box is a bilge pump with a float switch like a big shower sump that pumps the condensation from the battery box overboard. You shouldn't need to do that though on this new of a boat. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Haha My 76 Trojan had the same thing for the heat exchanger overflow LOL
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Handy...I think before I raise the unit or install a pump, I'll just cut that hose...but it is SUCH A BLATANT mistake, it makes me second guess as to why it is like that.  I agree a bow bilge would be a great idea as that area does not drain unless it sloshes around when you are moving. My boat has no front bilge, any water finds its way back to the stern where it gets pumped out. Weird I know. I have an anchor locker that drains, a dedicated area for my bow thruster that stays dry and has no drain and then this area.   The other question is...why dont they make these trays out of polycarbonate ?  or something that doesn't rust..
  • Options
    They do now Dirty, Fiberglass. I just changed mine.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @Dirtythirty just cut the hose to fit. No problem with that. @Dream_Inn why not just shim the drain pan on one side to allow water to drain out the hose..... Just say'n...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    My AC unit was shimmed by Rinker but the location of the drain plug is 1\2 inch above the bottom of pan!
  • Options
    My AC unit was shimmed by Rinker but the location of the drain plug is 1\2 inch above the bottom of pan!
    Really???? Not on my boat. Its pretty low the only thing on mine is I get a rust spot on the hull near the water line.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Yes Really. Thats how the compressor rusted out at the bottom and leaked out the freon!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm with Handy.  It would take a lot of shimming.  As far as your rust Raybo, only thing you can do is paint the pan and clean out the hose.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    A dock neighbor of mine used to put these 1 inch long lengths of clear tubing into the thru-hull for AC and anchor locker.  That way the water dripped past the hull.  They were short enough that you didn't even notice them unless the boat was out of the water and you walked past it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge, yes I did that on my 310 for the outlet of the AC.  I don't have any water stains from my current one.  But, the stains Raybo is talking about is the water stains from the condensation drain.

• Options
    Yes DI is correct the stains are from the drain pan. My drain discharge is at least a foot below the pan and it drains all the way. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not looked at mine.  Better add this to my pre-season prep for next season.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have a dock mate with those little tubes coming out of his outlets to keep the stains off. With a black hull I dont think I need it but was wondering if it would still be a good thing to help the shine last longer. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    pearson57842pearson57842 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I had a problem with my condensate pan not draining a year ago.  Found the screen in the thru hull fitting had plugged due to rust.  Knocked the screen out and no issues with pan not draining this year.
  • Options
    The drain in my pan is about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the pan, so the pan would never really empty out completely.  Shimming it will help, and I will do that.  The clear hose extensions do work well and will be a winter project for me.  Nothing looks worse then that iron stain on the white gelcoat.    
    Heard back from Al, he stated he is pretty sure the drain line being too long and arching upwards was an oversight in production.  Just really irritates me that something so simple can go un-noticed by their QC guys.  AND...It's been like that for 8 years and now its being addressed for the 1st time. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Quality Control
  • Options
    ktresselktressel Member Posts: 2
    I thought about putting a long pipe in the hole for the drain just for a form and pour that black rubber in the bottom of the pan. It would help the rust and the pipe would come out and make a gutter for the water to go to the drain hose