Options

232 advice

I've currently got a 242 fiesta vee but am looking at changing it for a newer 232cc. Anything I should look out for in particular? What is the best engine and drive combination to get?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 232cc and I loved it. I had it for 13 seasons and sold it to move up to my current 280EC. The smallest engine that I would get for that boat is a 350MAG with a Bravo 3 drive. Anything smaller is under powered. I had a 5.7L with an Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. It got the boat going, but with a group of adults, it would take a while to get up on plane. A friend of mine with a 232cc 350MAG/B3 doesn't have the same issues getting on plane with a group of adults. I wish that I would have added trim tabs to my 232. That would have helped the boat get out of the water quicker.

The older ones have a sink in the cabin area and the newer ones have the sink in the cockpit area. The older ones had U shaped seating in the cockpit while the newer ones had a walk thru. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg, was it the motor HP or the B3 drive that made a difference?
  • Options
    Greg, was it the motor HP or the B3 drive that made a difference?
    My 5.7L was 250HP and the 350MAG is 300HP, so there was a major difference there. The B3 drive helps that boat handle much better, especially when docking the boat. So to answer your question, both made a difference.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I have the 350 MAG/ bravo 3 in mine, and it performs great. Last year I had 8 adults and 4 kids in it, and although the performance was noticeably less, it has no issues getting on plane. We actually pulled the tube like that. I have added the Nauticus Smart Tabs on mine, and they've made the boat even better. 

Mine mine has no sink anywhere in the boat. 
  • Options
    dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
     I own a 232 end it has the 7.4 L with a brovo 3,  plenty of power and with the captains Call exhaust one awesome sound too i'm not sure what the horsepower rating is it's at least 300 top out at 58 miles an hour and it gets there quick.I have a couple of pet peeves with mine one is drainage problem from the forward cabin it's easily stopped up and not having a walk-through at the back  other than that I love it
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    The 7.4L puts out somewhere between 310 and 360 horsepower depending on the setup, carb, throttle body or multi port injection. The big difference is the torque, the 7.4L "big block" has more torque than the 5.7L "small block", and torque is what helps you get up on plane with a loaded boat. The Bravo 3 dual prop provides more "bite" and helps you use that torque to get up on plane.

And yes Handy, your diesels have more torque then both engines combined!!
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

I have a 2001 232CC with the 5.7EFI and B3. It tops out at 45mph. It has trim tabs but I find that I rarely need them to got on plane. I'm not into all out speed so 45 mph works for me.

• Options
     I have a 1996 232 Captiva cuddy cabin.with four or five people on the boat it seems to be more difficult than it should be to get a 200lb  experienced skier up.  Wonder what could be the problem?Maybe I just need more practice pulling skiers this past summer was my first time with this boat and only pull a skier with it maybe three or four times one weekend.it tops out at 57 miles an hour.it has a 7.4 L with captains call corsa exhaust and a bravo three outdrive with dual props, no trim tabs . When I first purchased it it had something i think called a whale tail made out of aluminum,first time out with this it was ripped completely loose on one side and bent between my props  although it did very little damage to the props just a couple small nicks destroy the whale tail.i'm assuming that the bolts that were used to holding on strong enough because two of them are broke completely off and the other two were bent but it really surprised me the way it tore it up. Anyway it just seems that I don't have quite that whole shot that it should when i have several people on the boat.  Any suggestions I've been looking into putting trim tabs on seems rather expensive for no more than there is to them if I do the trim tab deal can someone recommend trim tabs could I get by with the self adjusting hydraulic  or should I get the ones that use an actuator? Thank you in advance for any help you might offer .
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    What is your WOT RPM? Too me it sounds like you have high pitched props. I'm not sure what recommended WOT is on 7.4L, since I have 350 Mag, with Bravo3. Also, are you starting out with trim clear down on drive as you should have plenty of torque to pull a skier.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Did your props get damaged by that whale tail when it came off?  You should have TONS of power, both hole shot, and top end with that motor. Most of the 232's came with the 350 MAG, which does great, so yours with the 7.4 should be screaming out of the hole.  How about condition of spark plugs, or maybe you had bad fuel on the outing you tried to pull the skier up with a full boat?  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I think that the lower pitch props (say 22P vs 24P) have a quicker hole shot but that top end speed and fuel economy suffer? People with more prop experience can probably weigh in on this. Seems like you must define what you want from your boat then prop accordingly. 
  • Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    Did your props get damaged by that whale tail when it came off?  You should have TONS of power, both hole shot, and top end with that motor. Most of the 232's came with the 350 MAG, which does great, so yours with the 7.4 should be screaming out of the hole.  How about condition of spark plugs, or maybe you had bad fuel on the outing you tried to pull the skier up with a full boat?  
    I  had a full tank of fresh fuel and six adults on board and I was surprised how long it took to get a skier up.  The props  sustained very minor damage when the whale tail was torn off,I had to really look to tell there is any damage at all.just some real minor warpage,it didnt knock any chunks.  I'm wondering if my props are synchronized correctly is there anyway to tell by looking if there synchronized  correctly ?  With my boat reaching at top speed of 5758 miles an hour I'm thinking that I must have more of a speed prop then a power prop as far as RPM it seems like that Marr PMs can run over  5000 At wide-open throttle  I can't really remember for sure I do recall fit the RPMs nearly match the speed example 3200 rpm's is somewhere around 34 miles an hour believe.  I'm thinking I could probably use and trim tabs but I bet this is a pretty good job installing them 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have your propellers tuned up and do a prop slip test as soon as possible
  • Options
    What pitch props do you have?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jgoochjgooch Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 Rinker 232 Bravo 3 hooked to 7.4L MPI and from what I remember on my last ride at Norris Lake, my top speed was 55mph at best running 4200RPM and I have 28P 3x3. I know the hole shot seems to be lacking for the 454 so I have been considering Hill Marine 26P 4x4. I would say my new Faria speedo is off but not sure if my Tach is off as well causing me to be completely confused with the performance.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I run by gps
    i set my rpm to my gps speed according to weight and sea conditions