Options

Repair for black carpet backing that's coming off? Reviving a post I see from a few years back

DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
The carpet in our 2006 246 is in pretty good shape after a power washing, but some of the black backing is shedding off in places. Have heard of some spray-on and paint-on products that can extend the life. But haven't seen any newer posts about it.

One that people have liked on the Chaparral forum looks to no longer be available:
Industrial Paints and Plastics in Canada used to have a product called simply Latex Rubber, but I don't see it available anywhere.

Has anyone seen any more recently solutions? It's not time for new carpet yet, and I don't want to shell out the cash for the nice synthetic teak flooring everyone's showing off!  

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called plasti dip, I used it on my backing to get another year out of it and it worked great:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-14-5-oz-Black-Rubber-Coating-11603-6/202196703
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I have used spray-on truck bed liner in the past but it only lasted about a year or so.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If/when you replace the capet, get the stuff with the grey backing. 

www.snapincarpet.com

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I just bought 11' x 8.6' of luxury woven vinyl to replace my cockpit carpet and make a piece for the swim platform. Will post as the project goes on. 

http://infinitylwv.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    If/when you replace the capet, get the stuff with the grey backing. 

www.snapincarpet.com
    Completely agree.  I have the grey backing and know several others that have it as well.  Really good stuff.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yep, snapincarpet.com has the "marine weave" on their site that is the infinity luxury woven vinyl that I mentioned. This is the stuff to go with now. Carpet gets stained and nasty. The marine weave/woven vinyl can get condiments, coffee, red wine, etc on it and it simply hoses off.  Padded like carpet but super easy to keep clean. Snaps in too...

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Why not try Flex-seal? It comes in a gallon and maybe just roll it on with a paint roller.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I just bought 11' x 8.6' of luxury woven vinyl to replace my cockpit carpet and make a piece for the swim platform. Will post as the project goes on. 

How much for that size?
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options

How much for that size?
    Depends on what you want. Retail is $85 a foot so about $1k. There is an eBay store called boat carpet sales and they are in the same town as infinity and they have ends of rolls, seconds, etc for $25-$40 per foot (a foot is a linear foot that is 8.5 ft wide. I got mine from boat carpet sales for the low end of the range as I asked for the colors at the lowest price scale and I liked them. One caution is that there was an issue with the roll when it arrived. They made it right and sent me more material but because I paid the low end of the price range they were very difficult and almost rude about making it right. But for the savings it was still worth it. I am cutting and binding it myself.