Options

Moving 1999 Rinker FV 270 from Freshwater to Saltwater

cswork11cswork11 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2016 in General Boating Discussions
Hello All, I am new to this group and am hoping for some good advice. - We are relocating to Panama City Beach, FL from Lake of the Ozarks, MO. 

We we are planning to bring our FV270 with us and are looking for recommendations for any modifications we should complete prior to dropping into Saltwater as well as maintenance tips. My only experience is Freshwater and our Boat has been kept in a covered slip on a lift. 

Currently we are having Antifoulidng Bottom Paint applied but at this point this is the only modification we have made - We will be keeping our boat in a marina slip with no lift in St. Andrews Bay. 

What about the prop? Should it be replaced? (Bravo 3) Or does it need to be coated with anything? I assume the hardware should be stainless steel? We currently have snap in carpet. Should this be removed and /or replaced with something more suitable to salt environments? Canvas? 

We've never used the head or freshwater system since we were always close to home or a lakeside restaraunt / marina. I feel we may want to use the head since I'm not sure how convenient waterside facilities will be. And hot water heater along with Freshwater to rinse off.

We'd also like to add a generator to power systems while off shore. Any suggestions ?

I know I've asked a lot of questions and I'm sure there are several I am not thinking of but I'm starting to freak out a bit thinking about how best to outfit and maintain our boat.

Thank you in advance for your advice -

Post edited by cswork11 on

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    edited November 2016

It's nice to see you are very concerned, but no worries. I believe you are covering the things that have to be addressed immediately, bottom paint, zincs, and outdrive paint. Bravo 3 props, not sure there is much to do except just keep them clean.

Carpet and canvas, not sure that will be any different no matter fresh or salt. Now, you may want the canvas down when not in use because of sun wear.

For the head, definitely use it.  I'm assuming you draw water from what the boat sits in?  If so, at the end of your weekend (or even as use it), take water from the sink into the toilet for flushing (especially the last one at the end of the weekend).

As far as generator, there are several good brands for a portable.  Honda is one that many use.  You just need to really think when using it to make sure you are not getting CO in the cabin.  And absolutely buy two of the CO detectors that have the digital readout (can buy at HD, Walmart or Lowes) and keep good batteries in it).

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    A fresh water boat should have magnesium anodes on the outdrive, these need to be changed to zinc for saltwater. Have the mercathode system ( an electronic anti-corrosion system ) checked to be sure it is working. Outdrive corrosion can be a major issue in salt water, especially with the Bravo III.

Like Dream inn said, your head will be using the saltwater to flush the toilet, and using fresh water from the sink to flush out the saltwater at the end of the weekend is a good idea. Some boat manufactures use the water from the onboard freshwater tank to flush the toilet, and I have heard of some others converting their saltwater systems to use the freshwater system.

The use of portable generators on boats creates a lot of controversy, and there are a number of pros and cons, including safety, cost, convenience, storage, and even legal or illegal. I just purchased a 2000 watt portable generator for occasional use on the boat for next season, and for use at home when needed. I believe your boat would have come with a Kohler 5000 watt generator mounted in the engine compartment as an option, so having one installed now might be easier then a boat that was never offered with one, like my 242.
    Either way, as Dream Inn said, make sure you install CO detectors.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great questions and even raised my eyebrows a bit as I am primarily fresh water myself here in Fl. The area you are going is absolutely stunning- or at least it is to me. My knowledge of the area says there is a lot of remote areas to boat, an intercostal boating area and I'm sure some nice marinas to pull into as well. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world are in your area. I was not aware of a coating for the out drive and would like to hear more about it. I do very little salt water boating although I'm only about 45 mins from the east coast. When we do go, it's usually for a week once a year but I don't do anything special except clean and flush very well. Is yours a closed cooling system?  I guess since your staying in a slip there is not much you can do to flush the motor of the salt water. I actually purchased my boat in that area and it was lift kept and is a closed cooling system motor which was on my list.  I also have a factory genney- I'd think way to expensive to add but Dream echos what others have said about external gennys and for sure pay attention to the C02 sensors- I know of two occasions over the past several years where two families were killed from it. If you have an enclosure, make sure one is installed in the helm area somewhere, I have two below as well. They are cheap. I also use the sink to flush the can but in pumping to the tank I'm sure I get some salt water pulled in there. Things I have heard can get pretty nasty with the salt in there as your pulling sea life in there along with the water. Your props are stainless correct? I don't think there is anything to do there...mine got a little crudded up but it seems when you run it, it comes right off. Bottom pain obviously a must. Good luck with your move, you are moving to a boating paradise although it is a different deal than where you came from....tides, shoaling etc. but you will figure it out. Good luck and put some pics up of your area, would love to see and hear more about boating in your area as it is on our list to come back to. Perdido Key is the area where we bought ours and it was nice in that area and I understand boat friendly restaurants etc. Good luck!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    If you didn't already paint the hull, try to find out what specific brands of paint work best in your new marina.  Don't assume that the "favorite" paint in your old marina will also work at the new place.  Ask the yard or other owners.  
  • Options
    cswork11cswork11 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the great advice. We are excited for our move and just want to make sure our new boating adventure does not turn into a nightmare. You all have helped a lot. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭