Options

Winterizing/engine question Rinker 270 Express cruiser.

Hi All,
We got our 1st boat this past May, a 2006 Rinker 270 Express Cruiser, Volvo Penta 5.7 GI and we love it!
We live in CT and its our 1st time winterizing it.
The boat runs great and we didn't have any problems during the whole season she was in the water. Motor was working fine!
We just got her out this past week and started with the whole winterizing ordeal, cleaning, polishing etc.
Thing is: our driveway is a little steep and the engine is not level with the front of the boat. We started with the oil change and connected the hose to the outdrive, the engine will start and stays on for about 5-10 seconds before dying.
Has anyone been through this? Could it have anything to do with the fact that the front and back aren't level?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    How much fuel is in the tank? Is the engine higher than the bow? If so, the engine could be starved for fuel since the pick up is in the rear of the tank.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    NaramaulazNaramaulaz Member Posts: 4
    There is about half a tank and the motor is lower than the bow.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Unless fuel gage is way off then problem has nothing to do with storage angle.
    i had to replace port and star sending units on my boat
    lonh story short I always ran full on one side and empty on other because it bad readings lol
  • Options
    Yes we are pretty sure it has nothing to do with gas, since there is more than half a tank so leveling wouldn't really be the issue. Its probably just a coincidence that this  started the 1st time we turned it on out of the water.
    Thanks guys for all your help, I am sure we will soon find the problem and will let you all know!

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al, exactly what I was thinking. 

I was also wondering if it's good to run the engine if it's on a big slope, given all the oil will be at the back of the pan??

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow up ok bow down not so good.it must be pumping water.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Ok, good news, I have a spare fuel pump, spare coil, and a spear fuel pump relay.  haha
    Looks like someone will not be getting Christmas presents this year!
    After hours and hours trying to find out what the problem was I saw that after the motor starts the power that goes to the fuel pump relay comes from the alternator. So since the motor was able to start and only run for a few seconds I decided to check the alternator and, alas, found the problem.
    Just got the new alternator in and everything is back to normal.
    Thank you all for the suggestion.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's some good investigation.good work.Christmas is over rated any way,boating last so much longer.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That also tells me ur batts are bad or weak 
    should run on them until depleted