Options

TV and TV antenta

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a thread going on TV selection and I think I understand much better what I need so I'm working on resolving that before my upcoming hopeful Thanksgiving week of boating- when I look at the specs of the TV's they go into a buch of stuff I don't understand about the reception oms and amps and angle of the dangle- is there anything special about a TV and antenna match up? Also, why do we always capitalize TV?  

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    got ya Greg- mine is set up it looks like to run on either- I have a regular plug behind the TV as well as a "cigarette" type plug in as well. On my antenna booster  which I think is a shakspeare, there is a switch on the module for 11o/12V so I guess you have to do that manually. The TV has never "worked" because it was not a digital TV and only used it for the DVD player- don't use it much but would be nice to have to watch the news etc. We don't spend much time below anyway unless we are sleeping but, like to take advantage of what I have to work with!
    Thanks @Cableguy Greg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    This should not be so confusing....but yet I am. I'm looking at antenas...mine had a shakespere brand, it also must have a booster on it? I have a little box that the wire fron the antena runs into and then to the tv..it has a awitch for a/c and d/c. Also, from previous thread I had noted that something ran to the amp from this box as well...is the tv antena also the antena for the radio? I see some antena say they will run the radio if equipped with something I did not understand...I wish I could just find exact replacement without trying to figure this out...I think I know what I need for the tv, just need to find the right size. My antena was the disc style by Shakspeare brand. So I understand from @Cableguy Greg the signal type,,,is the little black box an amp for the antena or is it just a converter between a/c and d/c? I'm so confused!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shakespeare--seawatch-3015-15-hdtv-antenna--16355778?recordNum=1 Here is best guess of what I had....so this would have a power source which I have to run the cable to- My radio seems to work fine, but as mentioned I think the cable ran from the antena to the little power box, from the box one ran to the tv and another wire ran to the amp for the radio? Does that make sense and if so, will this do the same thing?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do not need a new antenna. The old one will work. The booster will work. The antenna doesn't care if the signal is digital or analog. It is just passing the information to the TV. Concentrate on the TV.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg Greg, I do need a new antenna as the old one is scattered down a highway somewhere! The mount is intact which is a threaded post and the cable and connection are there. It was the disc style- I will remove it in the future when traveling. I have lost my vhf antenna twice! So, I'm trying to understand what I have so what I buy works with it. It was what was supplied by Rinker.
  • Options
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZTCNIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the tv I ordered...if it does not fit the cabinet then I will figure something out...thanks for allthe help and info and will post the results This was really the last thing for me to "fix" since we bought it so for at least a brief few minutes, everything will work!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg I am assuming from your name and comments, you know a little about cable and tv stuff...so, I did get my antenna and I kind of hooked everything up to test it with a tv from the house...little tv has not arrived yet but should be here tomorrow. Antenna came with a new power box and all the cable to run it. Since I really needed to replace the antena I knocked off, I assume I can use the cable that I there,but have questions. The wire as it sticks through the arch is a tad to short. I had a coupler ( for lack of better description) so I used that to make the cable a little longer to make the connection...i pulled it off a cable for cable tv I don't use anymore...are they all the same? Different ratings? No clue. Also that connection which has been exposed was kind of crudy...cleaned it up best I could but assume I need a nice shinny wire there for a good connection. Then, I already have a box for the power booster I guess it is...should I be able to use that one? It is hard wired in and I don't really want to redo that if I don't have to. The connectors came off the wire to the tv, came off the wire from the antenna where it goes to the box so I just jammed them in and tried the tv...worked ok but did not seem to have a real strong signal..expected considering the lack of good connections I suppose. What do you think about that box, should that work ok?
  • Options
    Twenty one years in the industry, but I am far from an expert. LOL. The cable in the arch should come from the port side of the boat. Using the existing wire shouldn't be a problem unless it is very damaged. If it was me, I would remove the access from the underside of the arch, then pull the existing wire into that access. Cut the wire about 2-3 inches back, then cut on a new connector making sure the center conductor is shiny copper. Then use a short (12 inches or so) piece of the new cable that you got with the antenna, push it thru the hole, cut on a new connector and use a splice (F-81 barrel) in the arch to keep it out of the weather. Then cut a new connector on the new cable and connect to the antenna.

The booster you have should work just fine. If it doesn't, it is because the amp is in the new antenna and the power supply that came with the new antenna sends 12vDC to the antenna for the booster that is in the antenna to work. Looking at the instructions via the interweb, you might need to install it. I would try it with the existing one, and with good cable connections to see what you get.  Do your best to make sure it is a straight shot the to the antenna and there are not any splitters between the antenna and the booster. Between the booster and the TV, a splitter is okay to have.

No matter what, you need good clean connections. The screw on connectors that come with the antenna are okay. I prefer compression connectors. We use PPC and Digicon branded connectors where I work. I have found that the Snap N Seal, or Ideal brand compression connectors at Lowes or Home Depot are good connectors.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Get me some photos of the current hookup and some photos of what you got. I will try to help you work thru it.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I will clean up my connections and if it still is not working well, will do that. Fixing to head out for the rest of the week and may just have to live with what I have until then- thanks so much for the help! @Cableguy Greg
  • Options
    Well, everything worked out pretty well...i still have to fix the connection by the antenna itself but I got a ton of channels and they came un really well. It's a 13" and it fits in the cabinet. I'm not going to mount it as I would not be able to get at the DVD. Also, I used the long cable supplied so I can put it on the helm and watch out there as well. I guess I can out a splitter on it and run another cable maybe to the sink where I have a power out let so I don't have that cable strung all over...but all and all pleased and thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Glad to hear that it worked out for you!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    It's nice to win one every now and then. I went ahead and picked up a new splice, the one I had was old and has been out side on my porch so I figured it may be crudded up as well so for a couple of bucks might as well start fresh.
    Thanks again Greg- I'm sure this stuff is simple to you but it is like me trying to read a book in Japanese.....