Options

Waste tank winter

nerg54nerg54 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
 Hello I have a question for you guys I was unable  to get a pump out on my 2009 280ec. waste tank  before putting boat away for winter it is about three quarters full all liquid the place to winterize my boat told me it will be fine through winter I was thinking of adding some anti-freeze but I'm still little concerned it is stored indoors but no heat any ideas thoughts concerns would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gallon wont hurt. Cheap insurance
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    If it's 3/4 full, the pink stuff would probably just dilute and not do much if anything at all.  Too bad you can't just get a shop vac and suck it out (yeah, sounds disgusting, but would be worse if something cracked).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one big $hitty iceberg, I would pump it out.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you boat is accessible since its indoors but I know they have mobile pump outs.  If its indoor, will it freeze?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be fine.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye pump it out and winterize 
  • Options
    The reason I pull my boat out late November is because on the 30th gas dock closes
    so no fuel but main one is nomore pump outs.
    i always get my last one on the way to the hoist
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    If the the place is sure it will not freeze then I would treat the waste with bleach or something to prevent it from smelling. Indoors could be a problem when it gets warm and no real good ventilation.  Good luck.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a macerator pump and connect it to the pump out and pump into a bucket. Or buy a cheap shop vac to use once. I wouldn't want to clean a bilge that is full of crap.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I stored mine outdoors last year in Connecticut with half a tank (shift cable broke and couldn't get to pump out) I put in several gallons of pink anti-freeze and had no issue. I thought at least it would not freeze solid, maybe just get slushy. You might want to add some treatment (blue stuff) as it did smell more than normal even after I had it pumped out in the beginning of the season.
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    I would hate to smell that stuff after 5 months!
    Besides pumping out, what do you guys do to the grey water tank?
  • Options
    I treat my tank after every pump out wIth the blue west marine detergent 
    basically helps with the smell and helps with the break down process 
    i pump out
    add red pop and that's it
    you can always run bleach thru it or into it
    i do to the fresh water 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Mine was 3/4 full after I got it back from the repair shop last weekend too. I used my cheap transfer pump and pumped out about half the tank with a regular garden hose. pumped it into one of my landscaping beds LOL. Diluted it with water from the garden hose then dumped 3 gallons of antifreeze in the tank and head.
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    one time purchase of shop vac would be cheaper than repairing a busted tank and fittings. not too mention the mess if it does bust! shop vac works great, i  unfortunately have the experience of having to do it myself. the 30 minutes of funk to clean it out now is well worth it.
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Or a good excuse to buy a new shop vac!!! Just save the old one for crappy jobs, pun intended!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Some say you should be all set but if it was me, I'd pump it out. You could be in for a REAL mess if it cracks.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342