Options

Smartcraft to VV

My new to me 2008 400 EC came with a smartcraft mercmonitor with eco screen. I wish to upgrade to VV7. Is it a plug and play procedure? Any advice would be most helpful!
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be plug and play. I am sure that others will chime in if it isn't.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Great, thanks Greg!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    The MercMonitor means you already have a SmartCraft junction box at the helm, so yes - installing VV7 should be relatively easy.
  • Options
    taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious, do you consider the switch to a VV7 an upgrade because of the size of the display versus the MercMonitor, or is there a function that the VV has and MM lacks?  I thought the MercMonitor was pretty functional from what I read.  But ended up going VV because of the cost (of a used gen 1 VV4).

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    MM can only show three pieces of data at once, and there's not much choice of format.  Also, you need one MM per engine (which is what I have).  And if you have fuel levels, VV can compute range and other useful fuel calculations.  MM only does miles per gallon (assuming you have a GPS attached, which I do).  

A minor gripe about MM:  the display of miles per gallon only shows one digit.  For my boat, it shows 0.7 mpg regardless of whether I'm getting 0.70 or 0.79 (a difference of 12%).  That's not very useful.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that since VV502 and VV702 have been released, VV4 and VV7 have come down in price. I might be imagining things, but I saw a VV4 kit for under $900. I could be wrong...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!