Options

Vinyl hull wrap

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have any knowledge they can share about wrapping a hull?
im thinking about trying it myself.  There's a nice sale on vivid wrap I'd need 2 rolls.  Total sale price with wrap tools will be about 450.00.  I'm wondering how durable and fixable it is.  Any info would be helpful.  

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the boat stuff but the stuff they put on cars is not very durable at all- as far as repair if you have to patch, you have a patch. Others here have done it but have not heard any ownership experiences yet.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    I have researched wraps on other boats of mine, and I've been told to expect a life of two years out of a wrap. I chose something else because of that...
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people on here have done that
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I have seen it and I dont not care for it. IMO you can tell its wrapped. Also it nicks up pretty easy. Now with that being said some of the graphics look great if your into that......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    i have a 3m marine grade vinyl wrap on my boat and love it,not only does it look awesome,it protects the gel coat from fading,minor scratches,its very durable,if taken care of can last up to 7years but normal is about 3-5yrs. it is very difficult to put on especially if it has any design work the has to match up anywhere.if your wrapping a very big boat its best left to professionals. it took 3tries befor the wrap laid the way we wanted. reason,each side is one long piece,takes 3-5 people who no what they are doin and its still not an easy job because of the way a boat hull is shaped.if you leave your boat in the water you wont want the wrap ti reach waterline as it will start to bubble after short time but if the boat is removed from water,cleaned and dried properly,you can wrap to just below waterline. i expect my wrap to last easily 5yrs,im very picky,keep my boat on a lift inside and covered,always cleaned and dried properly and a good quality non abrasive wax,liquid ice is what i use,wont damage wrap,no white residue and very easy to use. unless you have a small boat and only applying wrap to basicly flat surfaces,you might want to have it done,its a lot of work,took 4days to do mine. hope this help you decide.i had my truck and boat wrapped to match.im posting a pic of my boat,i have other pics posted in pic gallery if you would like to view them
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works fine. My friend put it on his boat and it still looks brand new after 3 years. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwolf said:
    i have a 3m marine grade vinyl wrap on my boat and love it,not only does it look awesome,it protects the gel coat from fading,minor scratches,its very durable,if taken care of can last up to 7years but normal is about 3-5yrs. it is very difficult to put on especially if it has any design work the has to match up anywhere.if your wrapping a very big boat its best left to professionals. it took 3tries befor the wrap laid the way we wanted. reason,each side is one long piece,takes 3-5 people who no what they are doin and its still not an easy job because of the way a boat hull is shaped.if you leave your boat in the water you wont want the wrap ti reach waterline as it will start to bubble after short time but if the boat is removed from water,cleaned and dried properly,you can wrap to just below waterline. i expect my wrap to last easily 5yrs,im very picky,keep my boat on a lift inside and covered,always cleaned and dried properly and a good quality non abrasive wax,liquid ice is what i use,wont damage wrap,no white residue and very easy to use. unless you have a small boat and only applying wrap to basicly flat surfaces,you might want to have it done,its a lot of work,took 4days to do mine. hope this help you decide.i had my truck and boat wrapped to match.im posting a pic of my boat,i have other pics posted in pic gallery if you would like to view them
    are you high up in carolinadronz? :) waiting for the mavicpro over here! 
  • Options
    I ordered a sample of the black and the carbon fiber.  Gonna play with it on a few things to see how it works.  
  • Options
    Did you get the 3M 3D Carbon Fiber? It looks really good. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yes, 3m.  There are a few versions of it I'm learning.  
  • Options
    I used the 3M carbon fiber, which has a 3D texture. Put it on the roof of my mercedes benz ... looked awesome.

"Boat + Water = Fun"