Options

Next season will be our first in a marina - any words of wisdom?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
The admiral and I purchased a 2006 270 FV at the very end of the season here in New England. She was immediately winterized, waxed and shrink wrapped at our marina of choice (Brewers Sakonnet) in Portsmouth RI.  We moved up from trailer boating and this will be our first at any marina. I have been boating most of my life as a trailer guy. Looking for any helpful hints on marina do's and don'ts, things to watch out for, etiquette, etc. I understand things like keeping the dock clear of our "stuff" and plugging in the boat first before plugging in the shore side power. Do I leave both batteries on both and shore power connected when I leave the boat? Turn off the power switches in the cabin? I will be nervous leaving her tied up the first time we head home I am sure. Other things I should know before I learn the hard way? We want to be good neighbors and look like we have a clue. Thanks for any input. Happy Saturday morning everyone 

Comments

• Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I always turn off main battery switch to off and hook up shore power. I'm sure you will see people do it both ways but I'm old school thought of keep things off. Shore power will run all cabin lights with refrigerator and Ac. Also my battery charger runs off shore power
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get to know your slip mates. They can keep an eye on your boat when you are not there. Get a dock box so you wont have to lug stuff back and forth all the time. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a slip choice find one that is less prone to wave/wake action because if you are going to make drinks etc. on it in the day time and sleep in it at night wave/wake action can be a problem. Find the best calm water slip. I have had friends who wanted a slip closest to the fairway exits but they usually came to regret that choice as the water was too rough from waves/wakes near the outer edges and entrances.
  • Options
    Michael p, great advice. The available slips are pretty slim, however all are well protected from the wind. I am waiting to hear what my options are.  
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Be overly nice to your slip neighbors  they are your security system. Be nice to the marina owner and the employees    They are the guys who will save your bacon when your batteries wont start the boat.  Marinas are like a neighborhood   if you are good to others first then they will be good to you  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    long as main breaker on panel is off the power goes no where.so hook up 1st then flip on.The only thing I leave on is the battery charger when I go home.Battery switch doesn't matter for changing just for the draw,so I try to us #1 then next week #2 or so.I also close the seacocks when I leave.The 1st night you stay with the boat if not a floating dock so you can adjust lines.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try and get a covered slip, on day's that are not so weather friendly, a day at the dock on your boat is a better day than staying home. Tip the guys and gals at the gas dock, its worth it. I leave every thing on, by the way, Key's are hidden in the boat in case marina has an emergency. If they were ever to call, I can tell them where the key is.  You will love it, unless you do not have bottom paint like me, then every 3 weeks you will have a tendency to want to pull it home and clean it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Get a small shop-vac for your dock box.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    We leave all power on so batteries are kept topped up and like you, connect boat end first then at box, disconnect at box then boat so an inadvertent dropped cable won't light up the surroundings albeit briefly . We do disconnect the dock water however so a wake doesn't pull on the fitting and dump gallons into the river - and a line break doesn't test out the bilge pumps. While I have a set of keys on the boat hidden - because I forget to bring the set at times and the cabin one on my car keys gets me in - my marina manager has a set anyway. As others have said your neighbors are your eyes and ears when you are not there and you for them.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Breaker on dock should be off before any handling of power cord occurs..always.  Breaker only gets turned on when cord is in place. 

- Get ready to enjoy the good life. Slip boating is SO MUCH more fun then trailer boating!!
  • Options
    Oh yeah the dock Box is like your shed at home.yes j3ff is correct,breaker always off when you touch the cord.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I guess most things were covered already.  You'll love being able to leave your fridge on and stuff in there to be cold when you get back on board!  Definitely take advantage of having power at the slip and use battery charger and keeping fridge on.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rule 1 - always have a drink to offer and you will fit right in.

Rule 2 - don't be the guy that keeps everyone up until 2 am in the morning.

Rule 3 - enjoy it as much as possible. Sleep at the boat, BBQ, mingle, etc.  Also each marina normally has a club that organizes events. Get involved, it's fun.

In terms of the batteries, I always left mine on, and had the boat pluged into shore power, with the charger on. 

Get yourself a hand vac (like a shark) ... you won't believe how many flies your going to have to deal with (at least here in Canada on Lake Ontario it's crazy).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I agree, our ryobi 18v1+ hand held works well for a  quick clean up of the bugs that decide the boat is the best place to die. I keep it's drill cousin onboard too for those times you need one and it's home. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Get yourself a cart of some sort to lug things back and forth from the car.  i picked up a folding 4 wheel version and its priceless to have.

A bag of essential tools and socket set is great to have.

And an extra set of keys...keep in ur car.  I travel an hour to my harbor and it would suck to forget the keys
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Wow some great advice here.  We are very much looking forward to splash day in May. I will hopefully get to know some of the marina staff as I paint the bottom and fix a few things in the spring. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Don't be afraid to tell your dock neighbors "Hey, I'm new at this."  Boaters love to help each other, and I'm always amazed what I can learn by being humble.  

Develop routines for getting underway and getting the boat tied up.  Example:  every time I leave the marina, my routine is that I force myself to stop, turn around, look at the boat and speak the words "six, two, one."  It's my reminder to visually check six dock lines, two fenders and one power cord.  I know it sounds anal-retentive, but routines like that have saved me a lot of headaches over the years.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    luvinlife said:
    Wow some great advice here.  We are very much looking forward to splash day in May. I will hopefully get to know some of the marina staff as I paint the bottom and fix a few things in the spring. 
    Get in april 1st!! :) 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my slip, I have a set of dock lines that I leave at the dock. They are set to how I have my boat tied up. When I pull back in, I can tell whomever where each line goes to get me tied up quick.

Knowing your slipmates is great advice. You will see that most stay from year to year, but some will move on. It is good to keep in touch with the ones that move on. You never know when there will be a raft off that you could get invited to via a moved on slipmate. Then you can get to know more boaters.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Don't be afraid to tell your dock neighbors "Hey, I'm new at this."  Boaters love to help each other, and I'm always amazed what I can learn by being humble.  

Develop routines for getting underway and getting the boat tied up.  Example:  every time I leave the marina, my routine is that I force myself to stop, turn around, look at the boat and speak the words "six, two, one."  It's my reminder to visually check six dock lines, two fenders and one power cord.  I know it sounds anal-retentive, but routines like that have saved me a lot of headaches over the years.  
    I do exactly the same -I count the lines tied, the water disconnected and power cord secure.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Leave your dogs at home

Leave your side and rear panels off so you dont have to put them on and off each time you use the boat (provided you have a covered slip)

be nice to your slip mates

have extra drinks on board to offer.

make sure your hull paint is good each season

1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Love the advice about counting lines and cords. Tbe first time I drive away and leave the boat tied up I will probably wake up in a cold sweat wondering what I forgot. I always have plenty of beers on hand, so offering a neighbor a coldie is no problem. 
    Post edited by luvinlife on
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    i have been in a slip for the last 5 years    i still find myself wondering if i tied everything off    or turned everything off
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must have been some Alcohol  involved.  :o
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Leave your vhf radio tuned to the weather channel and on high for the entire weekend when your not there.  Neighbors love having weather info.   Lol
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

Me and most of my dock neighbors have an agreement (we are all really good friends) that if we leave something on (like the VHF mentioned) or something doesn't look right, please go ahead on board and fix...then send a text.

I only use two lines at the dock (advantage of having a lift) and never use the hose connection in marina (using water thru tank keeps it clean).  So, lift down, two lines and power line.  I have seen people over the years forget lines though, so I know where you are coming from. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream, you know how to text now? LOL
  • Options
    The dock I will likely be assigned to the first year has more sail boats than power. From what another person at that dock told me, the sail boaters generally go home rather than stay overnight. I plan to stay over a lot either at the dock or in a nearby cove. 
  • Options
    I was thinking of going to Newport for the 4th July week.I read they have a bunch of mornings,but don't know if it's a good idea?
    Ps not high jacking your thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Reneechris Newport is a blast, been there many times on my smaller boat but never overnight. There is a huge mooring field in Newport but I am not sure if any are for transients. The mooring field is also not really protected from the wind so you'll likely be swinging all night and listening to the splash splash on your hull. You could always shoot across the bay and stay in Mackerel Cove. 
    Post edited by luvinlife on