Options

Marine Satellite Dome Question

I've been looking at a KVH M3DX marine satellite dome and can't seem to get any concrete answers on compatibility with Canadian services. According to KVH's website, the dish is compatible with most systems around the world but only lists Bell express view as the Canadian service. I am a Shaw Direct customer and would like to maintain this provider if possible.

Do any of you fellow Canadians have any input on this question? I always thought a dish was a dish and your receiver took care of the rest. I really don't want to conduct a $3500 science experiment. Thanking you all in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Rinkerbuoy62Rinkerbuoy62 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    O.K. gang, I've got it figured out. Apparently Shaw does not support a marine service, only one mobile RV type dish. When my seasonal contract runs out in the fall I will convert to Bell.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RB 62 That's what I found out having spent about 4 weeks on the subject. KVH has a great website that has information on satellite coverage in Canada and the proper equipment that you will need. they al;so have great on line manuals to answer any installation questions you nmay have before you start. Bell appears to to be the only one who has a lisc. to operate in Canada - which is too bad. Make sure you get at least the M3DX or it won't pull enough DB to operate in Canada. I wanted to get the special deal on the KVH M1 - but no way. If you have an American friend (who'll let you have the invoices sent to their address) you can get Direct T.V.  which has way more channels, far better movies and crystal clear reception. As well, I think you can use the M1 for that although you're a bit north in Gimli so you might need the M3. Good luck.
  • Options
    Rinkerbuoy62Rinkerbuoy62 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    The KVH M3DX is the exact model I was looking at Michael. Due to the late start this year I think I'll shelve this project 'til next year.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey RB62, I just bought a marine tv to install in the cockpit area above my refreshment counter. It's the same brand (Majestic) that Rinker installed in the galley of my 2013 EC 310 only the one I bought is a bit bigger at 22". I was really impressed with the quality of the Rinker install and "googled" the maker. It is manufactutred in Australia and it purpose built for tough use. It is an LED tv with a ton of inputs and outputs. It is also purpose built for ultra low power consumption. By low consumption i mean HALF waht the other tvs I was considering buying. It's a 12v/110v with advd. BUT - one of the many features I like (the best) is that you can record a huge number of movies etc. on a data stick and plug it right into the t.v. It also has 3 HDMI ports but I think carrying a few data sticks will be far easier than lugging along a lap top. That said, a lot of my marine friends are using apple tv or sling boxes - but I assume they must have fairly liberal internet plans as streaming a lot of content can add up. Sooo - I may be looking at some alternatives to a satellite dish because most of what I'd be watching in the summer is movies anyway as the regular tv shows are usually off for the summer. I also have a few friends who are loading up their pvrs with a ton of movies and playing them back through their boat tvs. Lots of options! Take care! MT P.S. When I lived in Winnipeg in the late 60's we used to go to Grand Beach and Gimli. Some great times there!